Wilson Memorial Church : On Demand. On your phone. On your tablet. On your computer.
This Sunday 28th February is the 2nd Sunday of Lent 2021, and also the 10th Sunday of lockdown2.0. In normal years we would be running a whole series of Lent events in the run up to Holy Week, but unfortunately this year we are unable to do so until the Scottish Government eases its Covid-19 restrictions to allow worship services and events to take place again. So once again we are virtually throwing our doors open and welcoming you to come on in and join us for this weeks service. Please take a seat, wherever you like, or stand or walk if that is comfortable for you, and press play to enjoy Rev Mike with this weeks video sermon. All at a time convenient for you.
This weeks order of worship that you can use:
- Light a candle – to remember that Christ is the light of the world, and overcomes every darkness.
- Opening prayer – “Loving and Holy God, You speak the Words of life to us. In You we find our heart’s desire, and by Your grace we are saved. When the way forward is unclear, You bring light. When we are troubled, You give peace. When times are difficult, You stir up courage and hope within us. Lord, our deepest desire is to know You, and to be known by You. In these difficult days, we praise You for Your faithfulness to us. Draw near to us in our time of worship, O Lord, and open the way before us, so that we may follow Jesus without wavering, trusting Him to lead us forward. Forgive us Lord, when our commitment wavers. Forgive us when we are tempted to take an easier path. Rekindle within us the embers of devotion and fan a brighter flame. Strengthen our determination to follow where You lead, and renew our energy to serve in Jesus’ name, and in whose name we pray. Amen.”
- Read this weeks scripture passage – John 8:1-11
- Video Sermon – The hands of Christ
- Responsive reading – Psalm 95
- Prayer – “Gracious God, we are grateful for signs of Your love in our lives. Thank You for the hope they bring us, and show us how to share this hope and love with others who are struggling in these difficult days. Faithful God, we pray for Your healing hands to be upon this world: We pray for people, places and situations that are deeply in need of Your grace, especially as they face the fears and frustrations of coping with COVID-19; We pray for those who struggle to feed, clothe or house themselves and their families, and all those who worry about their financial future; We pray for those who are weak or vulnerable for any reason, and for all who lack dignity and respect in our community; We pray for all Creation and its well-being, that areas and species under threat will be cared for; We pray for peace with justice in regions of the world facing turmoil and conflict; We pray for all those offering leadership and service in these times of hope and anxiety, for those planning how to offer vaccines in our communities, and for those uncertain about vaccination; By the power of Your Holy Spirit, and the touch of Christ’s hands in ours, work in us and through us. May we bring the light and love of Your Kingdom into our relationships and community in all we do and say. Receive all our prayers in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.”
- Benediction – “I began with the words of the first verse of a familiar children’s hymn. Let me close with the words of the second verse: Take my hands, Lord Jesus/Let them work for You/Make them strong and gentle/Kind in all I do/Let me watch you, Jesus/Till I’m gentle too/Till my hands are kind hands/Quick to work for You. And the blessing of God Almighty, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit rest upon you and remain with you for evermore. Amen”
- Extinguish the candle
What else is happening at Wilson Memorial this week?
We have created a program of on-line events that you can join in from the comfort of your favourite armchair. Details of these events can be found on our “What’s on – Lockdown special” web page. Go and check it out, NOW!
In addition to video sermons, we also now have podcast sermons available to download and listen to on your mobile device wherever you are. We also have a “dial a sermon” service available, where you can listen to sermons by telephone. To phone a service, simply call us on 0131 297 6174, you will hear an automated greeting, and then after a short pause the latest sermon will play.
Our Basics Bank, Food Bank, continues to operate as normal every Tuesday providing a critical service to individuals and families suffering hardship in our local community. Please visit our Basics Bank page for details of what we are currently needing.
Read more about the United Free Church of Scotland
The December 2020/January 2021 edition of STEDFAST, our denominations magazine, is now available from Wilson Memorial Church.
We have hard copy coffee-table editions and soft copy tablet/PC editions available.