Wilson Memorial Church : On Demand. On your phone. On your tablet. On your computer.
This Sunday 21st February is the 1st Sunday of Lent 2021, and the 9th Sunday of lockdown2.0. In normal years we would be running a whole series of Lent events in the run up to Holy Week, but unfortunately this year we are unable to do so until the Scottish Government eases its Covid-19 restrictions to allow worship services and events to take place again. So once again we are virtually throwing our doors open and welcoming you to come on in and join us for this weeks service. Please take a seat, wherever you like, or stand or walk if that is comfortable for you, and press play to enjoy Rev Mike with this weeks video sermon. All at a time convenient for you.
This weeks order of worship that you can use:
- Light a candle – to remember that Christ is the light of the world, and overcomes every darkness.
- Opening prayer – “Mighty God, You welcome us into Your Kingdom as honoured guests. You give us water to wash our feet. You give us a kiss of greeting. You anoint our heads with oil. Merciful God, You welcome us even though we are sinners. You forgive our sin, and You invite us to join You at Your table. Wondrous God, we have come here to give You our praise and worship. In Jesus name we pray Amen.”
- Read this weeks scripture passage – Luke 7:37-50
- Video Sermon – The feet of Christ
- Prayer – “Gracious God, as we enter into this Holy season of preparation, we give You thanks for Your promise of new life that sustains us, especially as these months of COVID restrictions stretch on. We thank You: for tiny signs of hope on challenging days; for glimpses of beauty in a smile; for scientific achievements that help to ease suffering; for the people who support and serve others in times of weakness or loss; for the chance to recover from mistakes, and to begin again. Lord of life, sustain us with Your presence and give us patience and perseverance as we await the future with You.
Faithful God, trusting in Your promise of new life, it is with a confident hope that we pray: for anyone we have hurt with a harsh word or a careless deed; for those known to us who are carrying heavy burdens; for those we work or volunteer alongside; for all who are seeking employment or are worried about their businesses; for teachers, students and school leaders who are managing so many challenges this year; for troubled places in our world and those who work for reconciliation and understanding; for our congregation and all faith communities who are seeking new ways to minister in these months of distancing from each other; for ourselves and those whose lives are closely connected to ours. Lord, renew our health and hope for the future You will bring us through the courage and compassion of Jesus, our Lord and Saviour, in whose wonderful name we pray. Amen.”
- Benediction – “Loving God, how lavishly You have poured out the costly gift of Your grace upon our feet. May the fragrance of Your grace fill our homes and our lives, so that we may show Your glory and serve Your people, through Jesus Christ our Lord…and now may the blessing of God Almighty, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, be with us now and for always. Amen”
- Extinguish the candle
What else is happening at Wilson Memorial this week?
We have created a program of on-line events that you can join in from the comfort of your favourite armchair. Details of these events can be found on our “What’s on – Lockdown special” web page. Go and check it out, NOW!
In addition to video sermons, we also now have podcast sermons available to download and listen to on your mobile device wherever you are. We also have a “dial a sermon” service available, where you can listen to sermons by telephone. To phone a service, simply call us on 0131 297 6174, you will hear an automated greeting, and then after a short pause the latest sermon will play.
Our Basics Bank, Food Bank, continues to operate as normal every Tuesday providing a critical service to individuals and families suffering hardship in our local community. Please visit our Basics Bank page for details of what we are currently needing.
Read more about the United Free Church of Scotland
The December 2020/January 2021 edition of STEDFAST, our denominations magazine, is now available from Wilson Memorial Church.
We have hard copy coffee-table editions and soft copy tablet/PC editions available.