Wilson Memorial Church : On Demand. On your phone. On your tablet. On your computer.
This Sunday 14th February is the 8th Sunday of lockdown2.0, so once again we are virtually throwing our doors open and welcoming you to come on in and join us for this weeks service. Please take a seat, wherever you like, or stand or walk if that is comfortable for you, and press play to enjoy Rev Mike with this weeks video sermon. All at a time convenient for you.
This weeks order of worship that you can use:
- Light a candle – to remember that Christ is the light of the world, and overcomes every darkness.
- Opening prayer – “God grace and glory, to this worried and anxious world, You reveal Your presence in radiant glory and in quiet whispers, on mountain tops and in shaded valleys, in classrooms and hospital beds, in homes and churches, in the quiet of creation and on busy streets. Lord, Yours is the presence that pushes us beyond our fears to calm us; Yours is the love that transforms our doubt with reassurance. We come to dwell in Your goodness and to offer You the praise You deserve.
God of mercy and forgiveness, we confess the many things that keep us from trusting fully in Your love. We are so easily distracted by our own desires and disappointments. We cling to anger and resentment. We fear for the future rather than seeking signs of hope. Lord, forgive us, and shine Your love upon us so that Your glory may be seen in us, and give us the courage to follow Jesus wherever He leads, for we pray in His name. Amen.”
- Praise – “In the garden” – Here is a Youtube video you can listen or sing along to.
- Read this weeks scripture passage – Mark 9:2-9
- Video Sermon – Transfixed, Transfigured, Transformed
- Praise – “Shine Jesus Shine” – Here is a Youtube video you can listen or sing along to.
- Prayer – “God of life and love: You created us and set us in relationship with others…in families and neighbourhoods, communities and countries, cultures and nations. We give You thanks for all the supportive relationships which bring meaning and encouragement to our lives, and have meant so much to us in times of isolation. Help us to give and do what we can to sustain the life of our community and for all who call it home. God of faith and future, there are so many pressures on homes and families today. Draw near to those who are struggling economically, and those who are burdened by the challenges to health and wholeness at this difficult time. Help us all to create solutions that lead to healing and wholeness for all people. God of mercy and forgiveness, You call us to live together in peace and unity. We pray for our communities and our country. Where people are divided and bitterness turns into resentment, show us how to work for reconciliation. As the COVID-19 pandemic stretches on, we pray for those whose skill and dedication is needed to support and care for us all. Wherever we can, help us to offer words of encouragement and appreciation so others know how much they matter to you and to us all. Today we give thanks for our Church family and for the years of worship and ministry offered in Your name. Lord, so much has changed for us over this past year, and we pray that You will continue to bless us as we carefully and creatively plan for the future. We remember, in this moment of silence, those who are in need of special attention today… Lord, Guide us all with Your wisdom and vision so we may find ways to reach out to each others in support and friendship. Open our eyes to opportunities to reach beyond our own fellowship as messengers of Your healing and hope, for we offer ourselves to You in Jesus’ name. Amen.”
- Benediction – “Go now, and speak of what you have seen of God’s glory. Do not cling to the holy moments, but as the Lord lives, listen to Christ and follow Him from the places of revelation to the places of mission…and may God shine the light of His glory into your hearts. May Christ be with you and never leave you. And may the Spirit renew the image of God within you. We go in peace to love and serve the Lord…in the name of Christ. Amen”
- Extinguish the candle
What else is happening at Wilson Memorial this week?
We have created a program of on-line events that you can join in from the comfort of your favourite armchair. Details of these events can be found on our “What’s on – Lockdown special” web page. Go and check it out, NOW!
In addition to video sermons, we also now have podcast sermons available to download and listen to on your mobile device wherever you are. We also have a “dial a sermon” service available, where you can listen to sermons by telephone. To phone a service, simply call us on 0131 297 6174, you will hear an automated greeting, and then after a short pause the latest sermon will play.
Our Basics Bank, Food Bank, continues to operate as normal every Tuesday providing a critical service to individuals and families suffering hardship in our local community. Please visit our Basics Bank page for details of what we are currently needing.
Read more about the United Free Church of Scotland
The December 2020/January 2021 edition of STEDFAST, our denominations magazine, is now available from Wilson Memorial Church.
We have hard copy coffee-table editions and soft copy tablet/PC editions available.