Wilson Memorial Church : On Demand. On your phone. On your tablet. On your computer.
This Sunday 31st January is the 6th Sunday in this latest lockdown, so we are virtually opening our doors and welcoming you to come on in and join us for this weeks service. Please take a seat, wherever you like, or stand or walk if that is comfortable for you, and press play to enjoy Rev Mike with this weeks video sermon. All at a time convenient for you.
This weeks order of worship that you can use:
- Light a candle – to remember that Christ is the light of the world, and overcomes every darkness.
- Opening prayer – “Loving God, You are the wisdom behind all mystery, the glory hidden in all that makes us wonder, the strength in all that nourishes and sustains us. Open our hearts and spirits today so that we can hear the great news of Your power and presence with all Your people, in every time and in every place. Fill our hearts with praise and thanksgiving as Your Word is proclaimed in song and story.
Forgiving God, we admit that despite all the evidence of Your love and grace in our lives, we are still resistant. Lord, there are so many times we turn from You. We forget that the food for body and spirit comes from Your goodness. We focus on what troubles us and ignore the help and healing You offer. We seek meaning and purpose in the wrong places. We confess that sometimes we can be cruel, harming the earth, other living beings, and one another. Forgive us. Open our eyes to Your wonder and wisdom. Give us the courage to live lives that overflow with Your love for the sake of Jesus in whose name we pray. Amen.”
- Praise – “Where no-one stands alone” – Here is a Youtube video you can listen or sing along to.
- Read this weeks scripture passage – Mark 1:21-28
- Video Sermon – Whatever possessed you?
- Praise – “For all the saints” – Here is a Youtube video you can listen or sing along to.
- Prayer – “Holy God, in these strange times of isolation and distancing, we are grateful for prayer in its many forms, for the intimate ways we can find communion with You and with others: in a word and in silence, in music and in movement, in the Spirit’s breath within each of us. Draw close to us when we are feeling frustration or fear in the days ahead, and renew our spirits to continue serving You as best we can.Lord Jesus, during Your ministry on earth, you showed Your power and caring by healing people of all ages from physical, mental, and spiritual disease. Be present now with those who need Your loving touch today because of COVID-19. May they feel Your power of healing through the care of doctors, nurses, and others who help them in any way. We pray that You will take away the fear, anxiety, and feelings of isolation felt throughout the world today.
God of all people, protect us and be with us, and especially with those of us most vulnerable. Move us to reach out in love to our neighbours near and far. Give us courage not to rush back to our old ways, but to rebuild our world together, creating strong foundations of justice and peace for all. In Jesus name we pray. Amen.”
- Benediction – “Thank you for being with me today, and no matter how weak or how frightened we may feel, we each have gifts that can make a difference in the world. In this coming week, may we do at least one thing to support the broken; to welcome the stranger; to celebrate what is worthy; to do the work of justice and love. Be strong. Stay connected. Each day, do something that makes you a little more whole…and the blessing of God Almighty, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, be with us all, now and always. Amen”
- Extinguish the candle
What else is happening at Wilson Memorial this week?
We have created a program of on-line events that you can join in from the comfort of your favourite armchair. Details of these events can be found on our “What’s on – Lockdown special” web page. Go and check it out, NOW!
In addition to video sermons, we also now have podcast sermons available to download and listen to on your mobile device wherever you are. We also have a “dial a sermon” service available, where you can listen to sermons by telephone. To phone a service, simply call us on 0131 297 6174, you will hear an automated greeting, and then after a short pause the latest sermon will play.
Our Basics Bank, Food Bank, continues to operate as normal every Tuesday providing a critical service to individuals and families suffering hardship in our local community.
Read more about the United Free Church of Scotland
The December 2020/January 2021 edition of STEDFAST, our denominations magazine, is now available from Wilson Memorial Church.
We have hard copy coffee-table editions and soft copy tablet/PC editions available.