Wilson Memorial Church : On Demand. On your phone. On your tablet. On your computer.
This Sunday 24th January is the 5th Sunday since we last held a communal worship service in our Church. We look forward to being able to open our doors on Sunday mornings for worship services again, but right now we don’t know when that will be. However, in the meantime Wilson Memorial Church invites you to join us online, from the safe comfort of your home, as Rev Mike presents this weeks video sermon.
This weeks order of worship that you can use:
- Light a candle – to remember that Christ is the light of the world, and overcomes every darkness.
- Opening prayer – “Lord, in our worship today, inspire us to wonder at the miracle of Your Church. Help us to see the privilege we share in being part of Your people across the generations and throughout the world. It is Your love that keeps drawing us to You, and to each other, and so we offer our wonder and praise, along with millions of Your people who also gather today in their own homes and in Your name. In Your strong name we pray. Amen.”
- Praise – Read or sing “Make me a channel of your peace” – Here is a Youtube video you can listen or sing along to.
- Read this weeks scripture passage – Mark 1:14-20
- Video Sermon – Turn or Burn
- Praise – Read or sing “And they’ll know we are Christians by our love” – Here is a Youtube video you can listen or sing along to.
- Prayer – “God of fishers and farmers and factory workers, God of those serving in health care, hospitality and at home, God of our office and business workers, our stores and and our streets, God of our teachers, our emergency services and our entertainers, we thank You for the many ways we can serve Your purposes in the world. You called Jesus’ first followers to change the focus of their lives, and so they did. Today, we pray for all those whose work has changed their choices because of COVID-19; for those struggling with little or no work, whose businesses are in jeopardy, who fear for what this year may hold in store for them. Lord, assure them of their value to You and to us all. Give them courage and perseverance as the future unfolds.
God of the Church, in this Week of Prayer For Christian Unity, we pray that whatever denomination or perspective or tradition that shapes us, we thank You for the fellowship we share and the gifts of the Spirit we receive. We pray that the differences between us which seem so important to us will not blunt our witness to Jesus and the healing and hope He offers. Lord, teach us to value diversity in our discipleship and to honour what unites us more than what divides us, so that the world may see Jesus reflected in all our lives.
God of our cities and towns, of our villages and hamlets, of all nations and neighbourhoods, of all cultures and families that shape our identities, You created us for community. Lord, we pray for all those who suffer because others judge their identities, their language or religion, their orientation or ethnicity, their social standing or lack of resources. Guide us all to appreciate our common humanity and to find ways to learn from each other through our differences. Help us to recognise the face of Jesus in those who challenge our assumptions.
God of all times and situations, we carry in our hearts the concerns for many around us, for people we know and the situations we care about, where suffering exerts its power and challenges seem overwhelming. Lord, hear us in this time of silence as we open our hearts and their needs to you: Silent prayer
Lord, bind up the broken hearted. Bring justice for the vulnerable. Send Your Spirit of healing and hope to embrace those who need You. We dare to ask all this because we trust in the name of Jesus, Your Son and our Saviour. Amen.”
- Benediction – “As the first disciples walked with Christ so long ago, walk with Christ in your hearts and spirits. Feel the power of the Holy Spirit guiding your path. Know the love of God which is poured out for you and rejoice. Go in peace to love and serve both the Lord and the world. Amen”
- Extinguish the candle
What else is happening at Wilson Memorial this week?
We have created a program of on-line events that you can join in from the comfort of your favourite armchair. Details of these events can be found on our “What’s on – Lockdown special” web page. Go and check it out, NOW!
In addition to video sermons, we also now have podcast sermons available to download and listen to on your mobile device wherever you are. We also have a “dial a sermon” service available, where you can listen to sermons by telephone. To phone a service, simply call us on 0131 297 6174, you will hear an automated greeting, and then after a short pause the latest sermon will play.
Our Basics Bank, Food Bank, continues to operate as normal every Tuesday providing a critical service to individuals and families suffering hardship in our local community.
Read more about the United Free Church of Scotland
The December 2020/January 2021 edition of STEDFAST, our denominations magazine, is now available from Wilson Memorial Church.
We have hard copy coffee-table editions and soft copy tablet/PC editions available.