Wilson Memorial Church : On Demand. On your phone. On your tablet. On your computer.
This Sunday 23rd August is the 23rd week since we last held a Sunday worship service in our Church, and we’re now really pleased to say that we’ll be re-starting our weekly Sunday morning family worship services on 6th September. However, until then, we will continue to provide short worship sessions during our Saturday open hour. Our Wednesday open hour is reserved for quiet individual prayer. In the meantime, Wilson Memorial Church invites you to join us online, from the safe comfort of your home, as Rev Mike presents this weeks video sermon.
This weeks order of worship that you can use:
- Light a candle – to remember that Christ is the light of the world, and overcomes every darkness.
- Opening prayer – “Eternal God, You are the same yesterday, today and tomorrow, and yet You come to us in new ways every day. You breathe new life into what has grown tired and discouraged. You offer healing for what is broken and worn. You restore hope for what seems impossible. You are the source of life and love for us and all You have created. You offer us Your transforming love, and You give us gifts to use for the work of Your kingdom. So, we worship You as Creator, Christ and Holy Spirit, one God, now and always. Amen.”
- Read this weeks scripture passage – Matthew 16:13-20
- Video Sermon – Your faith matters
- Praise – Read or sing “The church’s one foundation” – here is a you-tube video with music and words, that you can sing along to.
- Prayer – “Life-giving God, You equip Your people with gifts to work for Your kingdom, bringing justice and peace to every land and community. Through Your Holy Spirit You give us the gift of prophecy. Help us to use this gift to speak words of justice and truth into situations where people are exploited or treated unfairly. Guide our actions so that we might influence change for good in the world, and bring hope to the hopeless.
You give the gift of serving in the example of Jesus. Help us to use this gift to serve those who have been cast aside by structures of power and privilege. Increase our awareness of injustice and our dedication to work with those who suffer its effects. May the abundance we share in this country touch every life and community in this world.
God of wisdom, You give the gift of teaching. Help us to use this gift to ensure that every child has access to education and opportunity. Be with every teacher and every student as they adapt to a new way of learning.
God of hope, You give the gift of encouragement. Help us to use this gift to bring comfort and courage to all who are struggling in these difficult days. Bless us with words and actions to bring comfort to all who mourn, to those coping with mental or physical illness, and to any who feel isolated or left behind.
God of purpose and promise, You gift the gift of leadership. Help us to use this gift to build up our communities and model respectful ways of living and loving. Show us how our churches can be places of support within our neighbourhoods.
God of love, You give the gift of kindness. Help us to be kind to all who cross our paths, even those who anger or upset us. Teach us to be forgiving in all our relationships.
We ask all these things in the name of Jesus, Son of the Living God. Amen.”
- Benediction – “Go out into the world in peace. Love God with all your heart. Be challenged by the Spirit’s promptings. Hear the call to serve Christ, and be obedient to God’s Will…and my God bless you, and the Spirit restore you, and Christ’s presence strengthen you, now and always. Amen.”
- Extinguish the candle
What else is happening at Wilson Memorial this week?
We have created a program of on-line events that you can join in from the comfort of your favourite armchair. Details of these events can be found on our “What’s on – Lockdown special” web page. Go and check it out, NOW!
In addition to video sermons, we also now have podcast sermons available to download and listen to on your mobile device wherever you are. We also have a “dial a sermon” service available, where you can listen to sermons by telephone. To phone a service, simply call us on 0131 297 6174, you will hear an automated greeting, and then after a short pause the latest sermon will play.
Opening Up – As permitted by the Scottish Government, we are now open each Saturday and Wednesday between 10:00am and 11:00am. Our Saturday open hour will feature a short worship session lead by Rev Mike, while the Wednesday hour will be for individual prayer, meditation, and reflection. Social distancing measures and hygiene precautions are in place.
Our Basics Bank, Food Bank, continues to operate as normal every Tuesday providing a critical service to individuals and families suffering hardship in our local community.
Read more about the United Free Church of Scotland
The June/July 2020 edition of STEDFAST, our denominations magazine, is now available from Wilson Memorial Church.
We have hard copy coffee-table editions and soft copy tablet/PC editions available.
To find out more about this issue, visit our current Stedfast article.