Wilson Memorial Church : On Demand. On your phone. On your tablet. On your computer.
This Sunday 16th August is the 22nd week since we last held a Sunday worship service in our Church. We look forward to being able to open our doors on Sunday mornings for worship services again, but in the meantime we have now started providing short worship sessions during our Saturday open hour. Our Wednesday open hour is reserved for quiet individual prayer. Until we can properly return to “normal”, Wilson Memorial Church invites you to join us online, from the safe comfort of your home, as Rev Mike presents this weeks video sermon.
This weeks order of worship that you can use:
- Light a candle – to remember that Christ is the light of the world, and overcomes every darkness.
- Opening prayer – “Gracious God, as we gather, in our different places, make us one in worship and thanksgiving. We lift our voices to proclaim your all-encompassing love. May our praise join with the praise of all your people. And reach the ends of the earth, for you are our Saviour and our hope.
God of the fresh start, help us to wipe the slate clean, and walk beside us and teach us Your ways. Give us hope that the difficulties of this life will not always be this way. Help us to know Your love and forgiveness for ourselves, and to show that same love and forgiveness to others. In Jesus name we pray. Amen.”
- Read this weeks scripture passage – Matthew 15:21-28
- Video Sermon – Faith without limits
- Praise – Read or sing “In Christ there is no East or West” – here is a you-tube video with music and words, that you can sing along to.
- Prayer – “Living Christ, so many different people reached out to You in times of desperation with so many different needs. Yet You had compassion for them all. Lord Jesus, we know both struggle and joy in our lives, too. This day we set before You our many different hopes and concerns. Fill us with Your compassion as we pray.
We pray for everything we work for in our church and community, and everything we hope for in the face of so much change…
We pray for the choices we face in our country and community, in our homes and workplaces, and for all the responsibilities we bear in our different roles…
We pray for the troubles that weary us, the situations that puzzle us and the uncertainty that surrounds us…
We remember before You each situation that worries us and each person we care about…
Living Christ, You are the Source of peace and new possibility for us all. Help us trust in Your grace for today and tomorrow. Fill us with the strength and hope we need to walk with You, united in your love. In Your great name we pray. Amen.”
- Benediction – “Today, Jesus’ love and compassion have been poured out on us today. Let us go into the world in confidence, bearing forgiveness and love for all God’s people…and the blessing of God Almighty, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit be with us now and always. Amen.”
- Extinguish the candle
What else is happening at Wilson Memorial this week?
We have created a program of on-line events that you can join in from the comfort of your favourite armchair. Details of these events can be found on our “What’s on – Lockdown special” web page. Go and check it out, NOW!
In addition to video sermons, we also now have podcast sermons available to download and listen to on your mobile device wherever you are. We also have a “dial a sermon” service available, where you can listen to sermons by telephone. To phone a service, simply call us on 0131 297 6174, you will hear an automated greeting, and then after a short pause the latest sermon will play.
Opening Up – As permitted by the Scottish Government, we are now open each Saturday and Wednesday between 10:00am and 11:00am. Our Saturday open hour will feature a short worship session lead by Rev Mike, while the Wednesday hour will be for individual prayer, meditation, and reflection. Social distancing measures and hygiene precautions are in place.
Our Basics Bank, Food Bank, continues to operate as normal every Tuesday providing a critical service to individuals and families suffering hardship in our local community.
Read more about the United Free Church of Scotland
The June/July 2020 edition of STEDFAST, our denominations magazine, is now available from Wilson Memorial Church.
We have hard copy coffee-table editions and soft copy tablet/PC editions available.
To find out more about this issue, visit our current Stedfast article.