Wilson Memorial Church : On Demand. On your phone. On your tablet. On your computer.
This Sunday 30th August will be the last week without a Sunday worship service being held in our Church. Yes, that’s correct, next week on 6th September we will be back in our Church building for the first Sunday worship service since March. Our Wednesday open hour is reserved for quiet individual prayer, and in the meantime, we invite you to join us online, from the safe comfort of your home, as Rev Mike presents this weeks video sermon.
This weeks order of worship that you can use:
- Light a candle – to remember that Christ is the light of the world, and overcomes every darkness.
- Opening prayer – “Surprising God, You have an uncomfortable habit of showing up where we least expect You: in a burning bush, in the face of an enemy, in a livestock feeding trough, on a rough wooden cross. Turn our lives upside down with Your radical love. Help us to fully embrace Your surprises, even as we revel in the joy of being fully embraced by Your all-encompassing grace and mercy. We pray in the name of Your most amazing surprise of all: Your Son, our Saviour and Lord, Jesus Christ. Amen.”
- Read this weeks scripture passage – Matthew 16:21-28
- Video Sermon – Faithful Following
- Praise – Read or sing “Take up your cross the saviour said” – here is a you-tube video with music and words, that you can sing along to.
- Prayer – “God of the changing seasons, we come to You in prayer as the summer season ebbs to its close and as we prepare for an autumn filled with many changes: We give You thanks for the occasions we have enjoyed this summer. Thank You for the chances we’ve had to catch up with family and friends, despite the COVID-19 crisis. We are so grateful for each moment in which we have found rest and relaxation. Today we remember those for whom this summer has been difficult: those still feeling isolated by the restrictions because of COVID-19; those who go hungry or face violence in forgotten corners of our own community and around the world; those whose businesses are struggling, who have to figure out how to be inviting and safe at the same time; and for those who are uncertain how to engage with friends and neighbours and still be wise and careful in these strange times…May each find courage to face tomorrow in Your company. Suffering God, in Jesus You walked the road with so many in pain and grief. We remember those whose lives have faced crisis this summer: through tragic death and unexpected loss; through illness or injury; through pain or problems that seem to have no end…Surround them with Your comfort and compassion. Lord, Jesus often faced many demands and the pressures from His critics, and so we pray for all those who have not found rest this summer: for leaders trying to figure out ways forward to care for their communities when there are no examples to follow; for those whose jobs and responsibilities have changed, and every day presents a new challenge; and we also remember all those who seek work in these uncertain economic times…May they know Your strength and assurance day by day. O God, we need the embrace of Your presence, each in our own way. Bring healing and peace to our lives and to this world You love. Open our eyes and our hearts so that we may offer healing and peace to those we encounter, in the name of Jesus. Amen.”
- Benediction – “Jesus knew how His story would unfold. Our own stories continue to unfold in front of our eyes, stories tied up and entwined with Jesus, stories that show the world the love of God in our lives, the teaching of Jesus reflected in our decisions and the power of the Holy Spirit in our collective actions. As we go out into the world may this inspire and comfort us…and the blessing of God Almighty, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit be with us always. Amen.”
- Extinguish the candle
What else is happening at Wilson Memorial this week?
We have created a program of on-line events that you can join in from the comfort of your favourite armchair. Details of these events can be found on our “What’s on – Lockdown special” web page. Go and check it out, NOW!
In addition to video sermons, we also now have podcast sermons available to download and listen to on your mobile device wherever you are. We also have a “dial a sermon” service available, where you can listen to sermons by telephone. To phone a service, simply call us on 0131 297 6174, you will hear an automated greeting, and then after a short pause the latest sermon will play.
Sundays re-started– As permitted by the Scottish Government, we are now going to be open for Sunday worship services, starting on 6 September. Unfortunately, we do have to introduce some restrictions in order that we can manage the required social distancing rules, and keep everyone as safe as possible. This means we have had to significantly reduce our seating capacity, and introduce a booking system to ensure we do not exceed the allowed number of worshipers in our church building. In order that as many people as possible can join us, we will be holding two Sunday worship services: At 10:00am and 11:00am. Details of the booking process can be found in the August Issue 5 Newsletter. Our Wednesday hour will be for individual prayer, meditation, and reflection. Social distancing measures and hygiene precautions are in place.
Our Basics Bank, Food Bank, continues to operate as normal every Tuesday providing a critical service to individuals and families suffering hardship in our local community.
Read more about the United Free Church of Scotland
The June/July 2020 edition of STEDFAST, our denominations magazine, is now available from Wilson Memorial Church.
We have hard copy coffee-table editions and soft copy tablet/PC editions available.
To find out more about this issue, visit our current Stedfast article.