Welcome Back! : In Church, In Person. On Demand. On your phone. On your tablet. On your computer
This week, Sunday 1st August, we invite you to join our family service at 10:30am (doors will be open from 10:15am). We still require you to book in advance for track and trace purposes. To book your place, please email us through our Contacts Page. For everyone’s safety, we are strictly following the Scottish Governments social distancing guidelines, and have hand sanitiser stations for your use.
This weeks order of worship that you can use:
- Light a candle – to remember that Christ is the light of the world, and overcomes every darkness.
- Opening praise – Read or sing “My faith looks up to thee” – here is a you-tube video with music and words, that you can sing along to.
- Opening prayer – “God of majesty and mystery, we gather before You in humble wonder. Source of all that is, Your breadth and depth are beyond our imagining. Word of hope and healing, Your grace defies our explanations. Spirit of purpose and possibility, You touch us when we least expect it. Receive our praise and prayer this day, and prepare us to receive the Bread of Life in this time of worship. For we come to You in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, as Your Holy Spirit prays within us, to stir us to new life.
God of mystery and mercy, You know the details of our lives. You see the sin and the sorrow we bear; You see the problems and the possibilities we face. You see how we take advantage of each other, how we overlook one another. O God, we confess we do not always see what You see…in our own lives and in the lives that touch ours. Open our eyes to the truth of our times and cleanse our hearts with your grace. For we ask this in the strong name of Jesus, our Saviour and Lord Amen.”
- Read this weeks scripture passages – Hebrews 11:1-3, and 8-16
- Sermon – We live by faith, but what is faith?
- Praise – Read or sing “By faith” – here is a you-tube video with music and words, that you can sing along to.
- Prayer – “God in whom we live and move and have our being: As we gather in Your presence today, we are aware of many challenges in our own lives, in the lives of those we care about and in the world around us. Thank You for Your faithfulness to each of us and to your whole creation, given all that we share and all the different situations we face. Show us how our care and concern for the world and for each other can respond to the needs we name before You today:We lay before You the concerns on our hearts this day: We pray for those who have been in the headlines lately, for those situations in the world and in our country that concern us deeply, and for all whose lives cry out to You and to us for help…Lord in Your mercy, Hear our prayer.
We pray for those who are suffering in our community and for those struggling to overcome the effects of the pandemic: those who are ill and those who are bereaved; those struggling to make ends meet or find the right job; those who are lonely and those who are moving and in need of new friends…Lord in Your mercy, Hear our prayer.
We pray for those looking forward to a new beginning: those hoping for a school year with fewer interruptions; those starting at a new school or in a new college or university program; those beginning new jobs or new activities; those welcoming new members into the family through birth or marriage…Lord in Your mercy, Hear our prayer.
We pray for our congregation in a time of reorganising after months of restrictions. Gather us in to new and renewed friendships. Help us see where You call us to reach out with Your love and generosity. Equip us to meet every challenge we face with hearts full of faith and commitment, for we dare to pray in the name of Jesus Amen.“
- Closing praise – Read or sing “I know not why Gods wondrous grace” – here is a you-tube video with music and words, that you can sing along to.
- Benediction – “May God’s blessing be upon us as we leave and return changed to our homes. May we strengthen and encourage one another in our shared vision…and may the blessing of our adventurous God go with us…and may the blessing of the Son who showed us how to live, re-shape us…and may the blessing of the joyful Spirit enable us in our renewed living. We go in peace to love and serve the Lord. Amen.“
- Extinguish the candle
What else is happening at Wilson Memorial this week?
We have created a program of on-line events that you can join in from the comfort of your favourite armchair. Details of these events can be found on our “What’s on – Lockdown special” web page. Go and check it out, NOW!
In addition to video sermons, we also now have podcast sermons available to download and listen to on your mobile device wherever you are. We also have a “dial a sermon” service available, where you can listen to sermons by telephone. To phone a service, simply call us on 0131 297 6174, you will hear an automated greeting, and then after a short pause the latest sermon will play.
Sundays re-started– As permitted by the Scottish Government, we opened our doors again for Sunday services from 4th April 2021. Unfortunately, we do have to introduce some restrictions in order that we can manage the required social distancing rules, and keep everyone as safe as possible. This means we have had to significantly reduce our seating capacity, and introduce a booking system to ensure we do not exceed the allowed number of worshipers in our church building. In order that as many people as possible can join us, we will be holding two Sunday worship services: At 10:00am and 11:00am. To book, please contact our Session Clerk, George Smith, either directly or send a message through our website contacts page (Get in Touch). Social distancing measures and hygiene precautions are in place.
Our Basics Bank, Food Bank, continues to operate as normal every Tuesday providing a critical service to individuals and families suffering hardship in our local community.
Read more about the United Free Church of Scotland
The June/July 2021 edition of STEDFAST, our denominations magazine, is now available from Wilson Memorial Church.
We have hard copy coffee-table editions and soft copy tablet/PC editions available.