Welcome Back! : In Church, In Person. On Demand. On your phone. On your tablet. On your computer
This week, Sunday 25th July, things are changing. With the easing of Covid-19 restrictions following the move to level zero, we are now able we have to reduce social distancing to one metre and can accommodate more people in our church building. This means that we are returning to a single Sunday Service, which will for the first time include singing. This service will be held at 10:30am (doors will be open from 10:15am). We still require you to book in advance for track and trace purposes. To book your place, please email us through our Contacts Page. For everyone’s safety, we are strictly following the Scottish Governments social distancing guidelines, and have hand sanitiser stations for your use.
This week, we will record the service live, and make it available later for you to watch at home, but in the meantime, here is the order of service:
This weeks order of worship that you can use:
- Light a candle – to remember that Christ is the light of the world, and overcomes every darkness.
- Opening praise – Read or sing “We have come into his house” – here is a you-tube video with music and words, that you can sing along to.
- Opening prayer – “Almighty God, we praise You for the many blessings You have given to us, and particularly this place that we call our Church Home. In this place we pray that as we seek You we will find You, and, being filled with the Holy Spirit, may we become living sanctuaries wherever we may be.Loving God, we praise You for this special place and this special time, where we praise and thank You for all You have given us. We praise You for the way in which You have sustained us through all the tears and sadness of these past sixteen months, but also for the continued vision and hope You have given to us, which has kept us going and will lead us into the future. Lord, forgive us when our faith has wavered, and our resolve has weakened. Forgive us when we have failed to do the right thing by You and others. Forgive us for our impatience, and for those times when have sought to put our own wants and needs before those of others.
Gracious God, whose glory fills the heavens, fill this place and our hearts with Your presence as we lift up our hearts and voices to You in praise. For we pray in Jesus name. Amen.”
- Read this weeks scripture passages – Hebrews 10:19-25, Galations 5:1, Genesis 28:10-32
- Sermon – Together again (Service will be recorded live at Wilson Memorial Church and made available for viewing later)
- Praise – Read or sing “Paradise valley” – here is a you-tube video with music and words, that you can sing along to.
- Prayer – “Gracious God, who meets us in every place and in every time, we thank You for the gift of Your Son Jesus, our living bread. We thank You for Your endless overflowing grace that knows no bounds even as we seek to limit it through our bad choices.Generous God, as You heard the cries of Your people in the wilderness and fed them bread from heave, and as we remember how Jesus also nourished Your people with His words of justice and compassion, hear us today as we pray for our world.
We pray for those who daily need for food, clean water and proper shelter goes un-met. Feed them with a sense of justice and fairness that they may stand firm in the right to a decent life for all people.
We pray for those whose lives have been broken by violence and crime, conflict and struggle. Feed them with courage and the anticipation of a life beyond the barriers which hold them back.
We pray for those who are ill or sad, and for those who care for them. We pray especially for those we know personally and who are facing difficulty at this time, and we name them before you in a time of silence…Fill them, Lord, with Your healing presence and remind them of Your promises.
We pray for those who have lost faith in themselves and in You, and who struggle to find meaning in life. Focus their eyes on You, Lord, and give them hope for a new day.
We pray for ourselves that we might be filled with energy to serve You better in our daily living. Remind us, in those moments of doubt and uncertainty, that You will never turn away from us, and that You can meet us in the most unexpected places. May we always look to You as the One who gives us life.
All this we ask in the name of Jesus, our Lord and Saviour, and who taught us all to say together…Our Father who is in Heaven. Hallowed by Your Name. Your Kingdom come. Your Will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our sin as we forgive those who sin against us. Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For Yours is the Kingdom, and the Power, and the Glory, forever. Amen.”
- Closing praise – Read or sing “Thy hand, O God, has guided” – here is a you-tube video with music and words, that you can sing along to.
- Benediction – “Go now in the love of God; to be generous in the way of Jesus, and to be filled and fuelled by the living Holy Spirit…and may the blessing of all Three, Creator, Saviour, and Sustainer, be with us and those we love today and always Amen.“
- Extinguish the candle
What else is happening at Wilson Memorial this week?
We have created a program of on-line events that you can join in from the comfort of your favourite armchair. Details of these events can be found on our “What’s on – Lockdown special” web page. Go and check it out, NOW!
In addition to video sermons, we also now have podcast sermons available to download and listen to on your mobile device wherever you are. We also have a “dial a sermon” service available, where you can listen to sermons by telephone. To phone a service, simply call us on 0131 297 6174, you will hear an automated greeting, and then after a short pause the latest sermon will play.
Sundays re-started– As permitted by the Scottish Government, we opened our doors again for Sunday services from 4th April 2021. Unfortunately, we do have to introduce some restrictions in order that we can manage the required social distancing rules, and keep everyone as safe as possible. This means we have had to significantly reduce our seating capacity, and introduce a booking system to ensure we do not exceed the allowed number of worshipers in our church building. In order that as many people as possible can join us, we will be holding two Sunday worship services: At 10:00am and 11:00am. To book, please contact our Session Clerk, George Smith, either directly or send a message through our website contacts page (Get in Touch). Social distancing measures and hygiene precautions are in place.
Our Basics Bank, Food Bank, continues to operate as normal every Tuesday providing a critical service to individuals and families suffering hardship in our local community.
Read more about the United Free Church of Scotland
The June/July 2021 edition of STEDFAST, our denominations magazine, is now available from Wilson Memorial Church.
We have hard copy coffee-table editions and soft copy tablet/PC editions available.