Welcome Back! : In Church, In Person. On Demand. On your phone. On your tablet. On your computer
This week, Sunday 30th May, we have two morning services in our church, at 10:00am and at 11:00am. This is because as Scotland emerges from lockdown, attendance numbers have to be restricted, and it is essential to book in advance. To book your place, please email us through our Contacts Page. For everyone’s safety, we are strictly following the Scottish Governments social distancing guidelines, and have hand sanitiser stations for your use.
We are also presenting this weeks sermon and a home worship order of service, here for you to use if you are not able to make it to Wilson Memorial Church in person, or if you just want to listen to Rev Mike again.
This weeks order of worship that you can use:
- Light a candle – to remember that Christ is the light of the world, and overcomes every darkness.
- Opening praise – Read or sing “For God so loved the world” – here is a you-tube video with music and words, that you can sing along to.
- Opening prayer – “God of Mystery and Mercy, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, we meet You in wonder as the Blessed Trinity. You are the source of each new day, renewing all things. In Jesus, You encounter us in whatever each day brings with a heart that beats in love for us. Through the Spirit, You breathe life into us, energising us to serve You in good times and in hard times. In the mystery that is the Trinity, You are always with us and so we bring You our worship and praise.
Holy and Healing God, You are slow to anger and quick to forgive. You have shown us the depth of Your love day by day, yet we are reluctant to love others even a little. You have shown us Your compassion and forgiveness, yet we turn away from one another after even the smallest grievance. Lord, create in us clean hearts and a desire to begin again with You and with one another. Give us the courage to forgive each other and to know Your healing grace. This we pray in the name of Holy One and Holy Three, now and forever. Amen.”
- Read this weeks scripture passage – John 3:1-17
- Video Sermon – The “SO” and “SO”
- Praise – Read or sing “Tell the world of his love” – here is a you-tube video with music and words, that you can sing along to.
- Prayer – “Gracious God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, Your power is beyond comparison and Your glory is beyond our comprehension; Your mercy is without limit, and Your love is eternal. Look upon us in Your compassion as we pray for peace in the world and throughout the whole of Your creation.We pray for the wellbeing and wholeness of Your church and its ministries at home and around the world. We pray for all who labour in Your name, and especially in these challenging times.
We pray for our nation and for those who lead and serve. We pray for our city, that it might become a place of respect and acceptance, and a place where all people are honoured because of You. We pray that relationships between peoples of different cultures and communities might be nurtured, and that there would be healing of old hurts and reconciliation. We pray for new and better ways to walk with one another in respect and care.
We pray for the sick, the suffering, and those who are still isolated. We pray for victims of violence, for refugees, for those wrongly imprisoned, and for the protection of all who face affliction, danger, and distress.
To You, Holy God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, belong all glory, honour and praise, now and forever, and to You we offer all these prayers. Amen.”
- Closing praise – Read or sing “God is love, let heaven adore him” – here is a you-tube video with music and words, that you can sing along to.
- Benediction – “As we enter a new week, may we experience God’s presence. May we feel God pouring out the Holy Spirit over our thoughts and words, over our feelings and emotions, over our compassion for others, and over our hands and our feet as we put into action all that God asks of us.During this week, may the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with each of you, now and always. Amen.
We go in peace to love and serve the Lord Amen.”
- Extinguish the candle
What else is happening at Wilson Memorial this week?
We have created a program of on-line events that you can join in from the comfort of your favourite armchair. Details of these events can be found on our “What’s on – Lockdown special” web page. Go and check it out, NOW!
In addition to video sermons, we also now have podcast sermons available to download and listen to on your mobile device wherever you are. We also have a “dial a sermon” service available, where you can listen to sermons by telephone. To phone a service, simply call us on 0131 297 6174, you will hear an automated greeting, and then after a short pause the latest sermon will play.
Sundays re-started– As permitted by the Scottish Government, we opened our doors again for Sunday services from 4th April 2021. Unfortunately, we do have to introduce some restrictions in order that we can manage the required social distancing rules, and keep everyone as safe as possible. This means we have had to significantly reduce our seating capacity, and introduce a booking system to ensure we do not exceed the allowed number of worshipers in our church building. In order that as many people as possible can join us, we will be holding two Sunday worship services: At 10:00am and 11:00am. To book, please contact our Session Clerk, George Smith, either directly or send a message through our website contacts page (Get in Touch). Social distancing measures and hygiene precautions are in place.
Our Basics Bank, Food Bank, continues to operate as normal every Tuesday providing a critical service to individuals and families suffering hardship in our local community.
Read more about the United Free Church of Scotland
The April/May 2021 edition of STEDFAST, our denominations magazine, is now available from Wilson Memorial Church.
We have hard copy coffee-table editions and soft copy tablet/PC editions available.