Welcome Back! : In Church, In Person. On Demand. On your phone. On your tablet. On your computer.
This week, Sunday 23rd May is Pentecost Sunday, and we are celebrating with two morning services in our church, at 10:00am and at 11:00am. As Scotland emerges from lockdown and restrictions ease, attendance numbers have to be restricted, so it is essential to book in advance. To book your place, please email us through our Contacts Page. For everyone’s safety, we are strictly following the Scottish Governments social distancing guidelines, and have hand sanitiser stations for your use.
We are also presenting this weeks sermon and a home worship order of service, here for you to use if you are not able to make it to Wilson Memorial Church in person, or if you just want to listen to Rev Mike again.
This weeks order of worship that you can use:
- Light a candle – to remember that Christ is the light of the world, and overcomes every darkness.
- Opening praise – Read or sing “An upper room” – here is a you-tube video with music and words, that you can sing along to.
- Opening prayer – “God of power and possibility, with the flame of Your Spirit, You give us energy to move into the world in Jesus’ name. With the breath of Your Spirit, You refresh us to engage in life in all its complexity. Your Spirit embraces us in our diversity and invites us to find unity in Your love. We honour You for the gifts of creation in all its beauty and abundance. We praise You for Your presence with in every time and place. In this time of worship, send us Your Holy Spirit once again, and renew us to serve You in the world, the world that aches for the healing and wholeness You offer through Jesus Christ, our Saviour and Lord.
God of mystery and mercy, we confess that we have not always paid attention to the urging of Your Spirit, calling us to follow Your will and Your way. Too often we claim to belong to Jesus, but choose instead to ignore His teaching. You created us to love You and one another, but we fail to offer Your love to those who differ from us. Stir in our hearts and in our lives, transform who we are, and direct who we shall become through Christ’s redeeming love. Amen.”
- Read this weeks scripture passage – John 17:6-19
- Message: “The other Lord’s prayer”
- Prayer – “Wind of the Spirit, blow through us and Your whole church on this day of Pentecost: Blow through us and renew our faith. Re-awaken our love for God. Let Your flames warm our hearts with trust in Jesus Christ and dare us to do great things in His name.Wind of the Spirit, blow through us and give us energy to serve You as the body of Christ working in the world. Open our eyes to recognise needs for ministry and mission around us. Open our hearts to welcome newcomers and meet those we do not yet know. Open our hands to share in tasks that need doing, and open our lips in prayer and praise.
Wind of the Spirit, blow through us and bring healing for all who face pain or illness, discouragement or disappointment; for all who know sorrow, sadness or grief; for those who face stress and pressure, especially as they recover from the impact of the pandemic.
Wind of the Spirit, blow through us and bring us the compassion we see in Christ Jesus. Blow through us and equip us to serve the world You love in His name. Blow through us and refresh us as Your faithful followers. We join our prayers with those of Jesus, our Saviour and Lord, in whose name we pray. Amen.”
- Closing praise – Read or sing “Holy Spirit, Livingbreath of God” – here is a you-tube video with music and words, that you can sing along to.
- Benediction – “As we enter a new week, may we experience God’s presence. May we feel God pouring out the Holy Spirit over our thoughts and words, over our feelings and emotions, over our compassion for others, and over our hands and our feet as we put into action all that God asks of us.
During this week, may the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with each of you, now and always. Amen. We go in peace to love and serve the Lord. Amen.”
- Extinguish the candle
What else is happening at Wilson Memorial this week?
We have created a program of on-line events that you can join in from the comfort of your favourite armchair. Details of these events can be found on our “What’s on – Lockdown special” web page. Go and check it out, NOW!
In addition to video sermons, we also now have podcast sermons available to download and listen to on your mobile device wherever you are. We also have a “dial a sermon” service available, where you can listen to sermons by telephone. To phone a service, simply call us on 0131 297 6174, you will hear an automated greeting, and then after a short pause the latest sermon will play.
Sundays re-started– As permitted by the Scottish Government, we opened our doors again for Sunday services from 4th April 2021. Unfortunately, we do have to introduce some restrictions in order that we can manage the required social distancing rules, and keep everyone as safe as possible. This means we have had to significantly reduce our seating capacity, and introduce a booking system to ensure we do not exceed the allowed number of worshipers in our church building. In order that as many people as possible can join us, we will be holding two Sunday worship services: At 10:00am and 11:00am. To book, please contact our Session Clerk, George Smith, either directly or send a message through our website contacts page (Get in Touch). Social distancing measures and hygiene precautions are in place.
Our Basics Bank, Food Bank, continues to operate as normal every Tuesday providing a critical service to individuals and families suffering hardship in our local community.
Read more about the United Free Church of Scotland
The April/May 2021 edition of STEDFAST, our denominations magazine, is now available from Wilson Memorial Church.
We have hard copy coffee-table editions and soft copy tablet/PC editions available.