Wilson Memorial Church : On Demand. On your phone. On your tablet. On your computer.
This Sunday 28th March is Palm Sunday, the 6th Sunday of Lent, and also the 14th Sunday of lockdown2.0. In normal years we would be running a whole series of Lent events in the run up to Holy Week, but unfortunately this year we are unable to do so until the Scottish Government eases its Covid-19 restrictions to allow worship services and events to take place again. So once again we are virtually throwing our doors open and welcoming you to come on in and join us for this weeks service. Please take a seat, wherever you like, or stand or walk if that is comfortable for you, and press play to enjoy Rev Mike with this weeks video sermon. All at a time convenient for you.
This weeks order of worship that you can use:
- Light a candle – to remember that Christ is the light of the world, and overcomes every darkness.
- Opening prayer – “God of all people and all places, God of all situations and all times, You are the light of the minds that know You, and the strength of those who serve You in times of challenge and times of joy. We come to worship You this day, setting aside our work and responsibilities, our relaxation and pastimes, to listen for Your voice and to reflect on the wisdom and courage we witness in Jesus. We turn to You for hope and healing, for courage and compassion, in the name of Christ our Lord.
God of compassion, we confess that we often prefer darkness to Your light, and our ways to Yours. We do what is easy rather than what is right. We have been dishonest with ourselves and each other. Forgive our fleeting enthusiasms and our shallow commitments. In this coming Holy Week, as we prepare to witness again the story of Jesus confronting His enemies, strengthen our desire to follow Him and to serve You with courage like His. In the strong name of Jesus we pray Amen.”
- Read this weeks scripture passage – John 14:1-6
- Video Sermon – The heart of Christ
- Responsive reading – Psalm 51
- Prayer – “Creator of the universe, Redeemer of all creation, You made the world in beauty, yet too often it is filled with ugly realities. We trust that You are at work in all situations, restoring and renewing all things. On this day, we find the courageous heart of Jesus so inspiring, and so we pray that all who are in need will find the same courage as Your gift to make a difference in the challenges they face. Hear us as we bring to You our concerns, and send Your redeeming power to touch our lives and Your world once more. Wherever people are oppressed by the powers of poverty, sickness or grief, ease their pain and restore them to wholeness. Wherever people challenge regimes or systems marked by tyranny and brutality, encourage them with Your Spirit and lead them to liberty. Wherever people are burdened by the weight of hostility, greed or jealousy, restore their strength to resist and show them signs of hope. Wherever people are persecuted because of race or creed, or for the truth they tell; let Your truth and justice prevail. We pray for Your church in every place, whether it be fragile or strong, tired or energised. Inspire us with Your Holy Spirit to offer ourselves in gratitude for the gift of Jesus Christ, serving creatively and courageously in His name: Lord, in Your mercy, hear our prayer. Hear us as we pray to you in silence for those situations close to our hearts. In Your grace and love, restore all things…(silent prayer)
Lord in Your mercy, hear our prayers, for we ask them in Jesus’ name Amen.”
- Benediction – “As we prepare to go out into the world once more, ‘do not let your hearts be troubled’. Trust in God, and in God’s Son, Jesus Christ, who is the way, the truth and the life, and through whom we come to know the Father…and may the blessing of God, the grace of Jesus Christ, and the presence of the Holy Spirit go with you as you leave this space. Amen.”
- Extinguish the candle
What else is happening at Wilson Memorial this week?
We have created a program of on-line events that you can join in from the comfort of your favourite armchair. Details of these events can be found on our “What’s on – Lockdown special” web page. Go and check it out, NOW!
In addition to video sermons, we also now have podcast sermons available to download and listen to on your mobile device wherever you are. We also have a “dial a sermon” service available, where you can listen to sermons by telephone. To phone a service, simply call us on 0131 297 6174, you will hear an automated greeting, and then after a short pause the latest sermon will play.
Our Basics Bank, Food Bank, continues to operate as normal every Tuesday providing a critical service to individuals and families suffering hardship in our local community. Please visit our Basics Bank page for details of what we are currently needing.
Read more about the United Free Church of Scotland
The February/March 2021 edition of STEDFAST, our denominations magazine, is now available from Wilson Memorial Church.
We have hard copy coffee-table editions and soft copy tablet/PC editions available.