Wilson Memorial Church : On Demand. On your phone. On your tablet. On your computer.
This Sunday 21at March is the 5th Sunday of Lent 2021, and also the 13th Sunday of lockdown2.0. In normal years we would be running a whole series of Lent events in the run up to Holy Week, but unfortunately this year we are unable to do so until the Scottish Government eases its Covid-19 restrictions to allow worship services and events to take place again. So once again we are virtually throwing our doors open and welcoming you to come on in and join us for this weeks service. Please take a seat, wherever you like, or stand or walk if that is comfortable for you, and press play to enjoy Rev Mike with this weeks video sermon. All at a time convenient for you.
This weeks order of worship that you can use:
- Light a candle – to remember that Christ is the light of the world, and overcomes every darkness.
- Opening prayer – “Creating God, with springtime sun and the promise of new life, You awaken us from the slumber of the long winter days and nights. We are grateful for Your patience and persistence, always drawing near to us even through the times we cannot draw near each other. Your promise of hope in Jesus, drawing life out of the grip of death, means so much to us, even as the cross casts its shadow upon the horizon. We praise You for Jesus’ courage and compassion, which brings renewal to us in the midst of our challenges. We praise You, O God, for the love that never lets us go.
Lord Jesus, as we continue to reflect upon Your sacrifice, we recognise the self-centred ways in which we sometimes live our lives. You have entrusted us with the privilege of sharing Your love in this world, yet we often fall short. We get lost in our own plans and worries and neglect to show Your love. We find some people difficult to care for. We think some people unworthy of Your love and ours. We consider our own needs before those of others. Forgive us, Lord Jesus, and renew within us a right spirit, so that we may find the courage to go on and the compassion to reach out to others in Yours name Amen.”
- Read this weeks scripture passage – John 9:1-11
- Video Sermon – The eyes of Christ
- Responsive reading – Psalm 33
- Prayer – “Loving God, in this time of uncertainty when there is much to be anxious about, we pray for the world You love: Lord, send Your healing Spirit to guide countries and communities as they continue to respond to COVID-19. Bless the work of medical researchers and frontline health care workers in these stressful times. Bless the roll out of the vaccine programme and give us patience and common sense as we wait our turn to receive vaccination. Lord, send Your healing Spirit to bring peace with justice to the troubled places of the world. Bring care and comfort to those who have been hurt in conflict, wisdom to those who offer leadership in their communities, and courage to those who advocate for the most vulnerable. Lord, send Your healing Spirit to mend relationships between religious groups and cultural groups who find themselves in tension or turmoil. We pray for mutual respect to grow between peoples who look at each other with suspicion and among people who have experienced painful histories with each other. Open our hearts and minds to those whose situations and concerns we don’t understand and bring Your gift of reconciliation to us all. Lord, send Your healing Spirit to people we know and the earth you love. We remember before You friends who are grieving, for those in relationships marked by tension, for those facing difficulty at work or finding work. We pray for the continuing ministry of the church in our neighbourhoods and around the world. As we prepare to celebrate Easter and Christ’s resurrection, help us plan safely and creatively. Send Your healing Spirit to raise our hearts and our hopes with the promise of new life in Christ. Restore to us the joy of Your salvation and sustain in us all a willing spirit. We pray all this through Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour Amen.”
- Benediction – “May God who comes to us in the things of this world, bless your eyes and be in your seeing; May Christ who looks upon you with deepest love, bless your eyes and widen your gaze; May the Spirit who perceives what is and what may yet be, bless your eyes and sharpen your vision; May the sacred Three bless your eyes and cause you to truly see. Amen.”
- Extinguish the candle
What else is happening at Wilson Memorial this week?
We have created a program of on-line events that you can join in from the comfort of your favourite armchair. Details of these events can be found on our “What’s on – Lockdown special” web page. Go and check it out, NOW!
In addition to video sermons, we also now have podcast sermons available to download and listen to on your mobile device wherever you are. We also have a “dial a sermon” service available, where you can listen to sermons by telephone. To phone a service, simply call us on 0131 297 6174, you will hear an automated greeting, and then after a short pause the latest sermon will play.
Our Basics Bank, Food Bank, continues to operate as normal every Tuesday providing a critical service to individuals and families suffering hardship in our local community. Please visit our Basics Bank page for details of what we are currently needing.
Read more about the United Free Church of Scotland
The February/March 2021 edition of STEDFAST, our denominations magazine, is now available from Wilson Memorial Church.
We have hard copy coffee-table editions and soft copy tablet/PC editions available.