Happy New Year, and welcome to 2021. We are delighted to have George Smith leading this weeks praise service, and introducing the new year.
This week services are being presented live in Wilson Memorial Church on Sunday 3rd January 2021, and online via your phone, tablet, or computer.
Due to current government restrictions, we only have limited spaces available in the church building for worship. We very much look forward to joining with you in person, but if you are unable to make it to Church, we are presenting this weeks sermon and a home worship order of service, here for you to use.
This weeks order of worship that you can use:
- Light a candle – to remember that Christ is the light of the world, and overcomes every darkness.
- Opening prayer – “God we come before you with grateful hearts for all the talents of everyone in our congregation. Help us to recognize and acknowledge the great things which have been and continue to happen through the ministry of our church. Help us to remember that You love us dearly and want us to work alongside You to spread the love of Christ. That we work not as Your servants, but as Your daughters and sons. Bring us a renewed vision of ourselves from Your perspective. Help us to embrace Your love so that we may share it with others. Guide us as we make choices to act in loving ways towards ourselves and others; building community, self-care and wellness rather than selfishness, greed and isolation. Grant us a renewed vision as we learn of You in the treasure store of the Gospels. Give us dreams to change our community that make us come alive because we are doing what You created us to do. Let us honour You with our work, with our families and with our lives. There have been and will be many more moments of doubt and uncertainty. We often allow our circumstances to cloud Your brilliant vision and we are left with so many more questions than answers. Our storms seem monumental and some are fiercer than others, but You are larger than all of them. We cling to You. Not in our understanding of Your ways, but our growing understanding of Your loving nature. Lord we trust in Your promises. And that is where we gather our strength. We claim the risen Christ as our anchor in the shifting sea of life. We humbly draw our power to love from the amazing grace You have showered us with. Thank You heavenly Father for loving us and never removing us from Your vision. Amen.“
- Praise – Be thou my vision. Here is a Youtube link that you can watch at home.
- Scripture reading – Proverbs 29:v18
- Scripture reading – Matthew 7:24-27
- Video Sermon – “Vision” – View George Smith here
- Praise – It is well. Here is a Youtube link that you can watch at home.
- Prayer and benediction – “Loving Lord, there is so much happening in our world at the moment. Changes seem to be taking place almost all the time. But our hope and trust remains with You. As we step out into the future, in the face of all the changes and challenges that are taking place all around us, We pray that You will continue to be with us to lead and to guide, to help and to protect, to comfort and support. Lord, we cling to You for You are the Rock of our Salvation. We may be cast down but we will never be defeated. Thank You, Lord, that in this world of flux and change, You are the same yesterday, today and forever. Thank You, that You are with us in all the changing scenes and situations of life. We cling to You Lord, for our hope and our future is in You alone. Amen“
- Praise – A New Year. Here is a Youtube link that you can watch.
- Extinguish the candle
What else is happening at Wilson Memorial this week?
We have created a program of on-line events that you can join in from the comfort of your favourite armchair. Details of these events can be found on our “What’s on – Lockdown special” web page. Go and check it out, NOW!
In addition to video sermons, we also now have podcast sermons available to download and listen to on your mobile device wherever you are. We also have a “dial a sermon” service available, where you can listen to sermons by telephone. To phone a service, simply call us on 0131 297 6174, you will hear an automated greeting, and then after a short pause the latest sermon will play.
Sundays re-started– As permitted by the Scottish Government, we are now open for Sunday worship services. Unfortunately, we do have to introduce some restrictions in order that we can manage the required social distancing rules, and keep everyone as safe as possible. This means we have had to significantly reduce our seating capacity, and introduce a booking system to ensure we do not exceed the allowed number of worshipers in our church building. In order that as many people as possible can join us, we will be holding two Sunday worship services: At 10:00am and 11:00am. Details of the booking process can be found in the August Issue 5 Newsletter. Social distancing measures and hygiene precautions are in place.
Our Basics Bank, Food Bank, continues to operate as normal every Tuesday providing a critical service to individuals and families suffering hardship in our local community. Follow the link to find out how we are preparing for Christmas at the Basics Bank.
Read more about the United Free Church of Scotland
The October/November 2020 edition of STEDFAST, our denominations magazine, is now available from Wilson Memorial Church.
We have hard copy coffee-table editions and soft copy tablet/PC editions available.