This is it, Sunday 27th December, the final Sunday of 2020. Join with us online, as Rev Mike reflects on 2020 and looks forward to 2021.
This week services are only available online: On your phone, your tablet, and your computer.
We are presenting this weeks sermon and a home worship order of service, here for you to use, and we very much look forward to joining with you in the New Year.
This weeks order of worship that you can use:
- Light a candle – to remember that Christ is the light of the world, and overcomes every darkness.
- Opening prayer –
In our looking into 2021, may the God of hope be with us.
In our lamenting the losses of 2020, may the God of peace be with us.
In our celebrations of Christmas, may the God of joy be with us.
In our caring for the world, may the God of love be with us.
In our living of life in all its fullness, may we know that God is with us.
Lord of mercy and joy, You have given to us the blessing of Your Son Jesus, who continues to make known to us Your presence, forgiveness, and love to each one of us. Be with us today and keep our hearts and minds open to receive Your love and peace. Enable each of us to be people of joy and hope today and everyday. In Jesus name we pray. Amen.
- Scripture reading – Galations 4:4-5
- Video Sermon – “Timing is everything” – View Rev Mike here
- Scripture reading – Luke 23:50 – 24:8
- Prayer and benediction – “God of love, as we celebrate the birth and life of Jesus, our Saviour, we are filled with thanks. Our gratitude overflows in prayers for our world, the world You love. We pray for all children. Guard their minds, protect their bodies, strengthen their characters, and give them joy. Help them look to the future with hope and trust. We pray for the most aged among us. Protect them in the midst of the ongoing pandemic and reassure them of their value to You and to us, even when we cannot meet together. We pray for those whose hearts are filled with pain and fear. We pray for those for whom Christmas is linked with loss or grief…Surround each one with a strong sense of your comforting presence. We pray for those who do not have enough to eat, and for those who lack adequate shelter in our community and in desperate corners of the world; for those who eat alone, without the comfort of human contact; for those whose hearts and lives have been broken by trauma and loss, and; for those who struggle with the many costs of the pandemic…Surround each one with a strong sense of your comforting presence. We pray for family members and friends, those nearby and those we could not meet with this year. Remind them of our steadfast love, and to any who are struggling this season, O God, give your gift of peace. As the year draws to a close, we surrender to You the challenges it has held for us so that they will not remain as burdens. Remind us of the good things that have offered us encouragement in times of isolation. We give You thanks for the people who continue to care for us and care about us. Give us courage and wisdom for the year ahead. We pray that our leaders will have wisdom and generosity of spirit for the decisions they make on our behalf. Continue to guide scientists working to produce vaccines against COVID-19 and support all those essential workers whose faithfulness to their responsibilities helps us all cope in these difficult days. And the blessing of God, Loving Father, new-born Son, and Living Spirit, go with us, and to all those we are given to love, today, into 2021, and always. Amen.“
- Extinguish the candle
What else is happening at Wilson Memorial this week?
We have created a program of on-line events that you can join in from the comfort of your favourite armchair. Details of these events can be found on our “What’s on – Lockdown special” web page. Go and check it out, NOW!
In addition to video sermons, we also now have podcast sermons available to download and listen to on your mobile device wherever you are. We also have a “dial a sermon” service available, where you can listen to sermons by telephone. To phone a service, simply call us on 0131 297 6174, you will hear an automated greeting, and then after a short pause the latest sermon will play.
Sundays re-started– As permitted by the Scottish Government, we are now open for Sunday worship services. Unfortunately, we do have to introduce some restrictions in order that we can manage the required social distancing rules, and keep everyone as safe as possible. This means we have had to significantly reduce our seating capacity, and introduce a booking system to ensure we do not exceed the allowed number of worshipers in our church building. In order that as many people as possible can join us, we will be holding two Sunday worship services: At 10:00am and 11:00am. Details of the booking process can be found in the August Issue 5 Newsletter. Social distancing measures and hygiene precautions are in place.
Our Basics Bank, Food Bank, continues to operate as normal every Tuesday providing a critical service to individuals and families suffering hardship in our local community. Follow the link to find out how we are preparing for Christmas at the Basics Bank.
Read more about the United Free Church of Scotland
The October/November 2020 edition of STEDFAST, our denominations magazine, is now available from Wilson Memorial Church.
We have hard copy coffee-table editions and soft copy tablet/PC editions available.