Wilson Memorial Church : On Demand. On your phone. On your tablet. On your computer.
This Sunday 5th July is our 16th Sunday of isolation. Fortunately our country is now winning the battle against the COVID-19 virus, and we are now able to open our church twice weekly for time of private prayer, reflection and meditation. Sadly there are no indications yet regarding when we will be able to resume normal worship activities. So until we do return to normal, Wilson Memorial Church invites you to join us online, from the safe comfort of your home, as Rev Mike presents this weeks video sermon.
This weeks order of worship that you can use:
- Light a candle – to remember that Christ is the light of the world, and overcomes every darkness.
- Opening prayer – “God of compassion and understanding, our lives have slowed down in the pandemic, and yet we still struggle to hear Your voice. We are caught up in our own situations and fail to consider what others face. We are distracted by daily news and the uncertainty that still exists around us, and we forget to come to You in prayer and offer that uncertainty to You. In these slower days of community life, teach us how to enjoy the freedom of Your presence. Help us to enter Your rhythm of grace and salvation, in Jesus’ name. Amen.”
- Read this weeks scripture passage – Matthew 11:28-30
- Video Sermon – Weary of being wearied
- Praise – Read or sing “I heard the voice of Jesus say” – here is a you-tube video with music and words, that you can sing along to.
- Prayer – “God of mystery and meaning, help us to discover Your purpose for our lives. Free us from the burdens set by past expectations and experiences, and keep us open to all possibilities.
We pray for those who suffer from the burdens of anger, jealousy, resentment, and bitterness, their own or from others. Work among us through Your Spirit to create mutual respect and good relationships.
We pray for Your wisdom to inspire those who lead, locally, nationally, and globally. Work among us by Your Spirit to recognise injustice and respond to create systems of fairness and trust.
We pray for Your healing for those who are ill or in chronic pain, for those grieving the many losses of the pandemic, and for all who feel afraid for the future. Work among us by Your Spirit to renew hope and sustain our support for each other.
We pray for those whose places of work are receiving from the lockdown and the economic crisis caused by COVID-19. Give courage to those who have lost so much, and creativity to those rebuilding their lives. Work among us by Your Spirit to rebuild a shared life, and always with an eye to the most vulnerable amongst us.
To You, the One who gives true rest to the weary, we bring all our prayers, in Jesus’ name. Amen.“
- Benediction – “I want to leave you today with the invitation and promise of Jesus ringing in you ears…’Come to me, all who are weary and being burdened and I will give you rest’…and may the blessing of God Almighty, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit remain with you now and always. Amen”
- Extinguish the candle
What else is happening at Wilson Memorial this week?
We have created a program of on-line events that you can join in from the comfort of your favourite armchair. Details of these events can be found on our “What’s on – Lockdown special” web page. Go and check it out, NOW!
In addition to video sermons, we also now have podcast sermons available to download and listen to on your mobile device wherever you are. We also have a “dial a sermon” service available, where you can listen to sermons by telephone. To phone a service, simply call us on 0131 297 6174, you will hear an automated greeting, and then after a short pause the latest sermon will play.
Opening Up – As permitted by the Scottish Government, we are now open each Saturday and Wednesday for individual prayer, quiet reflection, and silent meditation, between 10:00am and 11:30am. Social distancing measures and hygiene precautions will be in place.
Our Basics Bank, Food Bank, continues to operate as normal every Tuesday providing a critical service to individuals and families suffering hardship in our local community.
Read more about the United Free Church of Scotland
The June/July 2020 edition of STEDFAST, our denominations magazine, is now available from Wilson Memorial Church.
We have hard copy coffee-table editions and soft copy tablet/PC editions available.
To find out more about this issue, visit our current Stedfast article.