Welcome Back! : In Church. In Person. On Demand. On your phone. On your tablet. On your computer.
This Sunday 12th December is the third Sunday of Advent 2021, and Rev Mike will lead our worship service this week again at 10:30am (doors will be open from 10:15am). We still require you to book in advance for track and trace purposes. To book your place, please email us through our Contacts Page. For everyone’s safety, we are strictly following the Scottish Governments social distancing guidelines, and have hand sanitiser stations for your use.
This weeks order of worship that you can use:
- Light a candle – to remember that Christ is the light of the world, and overcomes every darkness.
- Prayer of adoration and confession – “God of Joy and Justice, we rejoice in You, for You are our strength and our song. You gather to Yourself those who have strayed and welcome them back to Your side. You bring healing to those who are broken in body and spirit, and draw close to those who walk alone. Through Your great love and mercy, You transform us all into more than we ever thought we could be. We will trust in You and not be afraid, and we will sing of Your glory to those near and far. Receive our prayers and praise today, for You alone are worthy.All knowing God, we know that true joy only comes through faith in You, yet we continue to seek lesser ways. In search of comfort, we indulge our own selfish desires. In search of love, we attempt to hide our faults. In search of approval, we spend beyond our means. Forgive us, O Lord, for trying to find joy in all the wrong places. Help us turn again to You, our true source of joy, and lead us in ways that are honourable, just, and pleasing in Your sight. For we ask all these things in Jesus name. Amen.“
- Opening Praise – “Rejoice the Lord is king” – Here is a You-Tube video with music and words that you can sing along to:
- Read this weeks scripture passage – Zephaniah 3:14-20
- Sermon – “An explosion of joy” You can watch and listen to Rev Mike here
- Praise – “Joyful, joyful, we adore you” – Here is a You-Tube video with music and words that you can sing along to:
- Prayer of the people – “Gracious God, our Strength and Salvation, we come before You with joy and thanksgiving as the beauty of this season unfolds before us, with faces that smile and generosity that grows even after a long, hard year of pandemic struggles. With the kindness of Your Spirit refresh our community and congregation with joyful anticipation that Your gift to us in Christ can change everything. Generous God, Send joy to the world again.Tender God, we delight in the joy You bring into our lives and neighbourhoods through our life together in Christ, and through the love of family and friends. These gifts have sustained us through stressful times and we thank You.
We pray for those who are finding it hard to be joyful this year, remembering those facing illness in spirit, mind, or body, and those waiting for diagnosis or treatment, as anxiety grows.
We pray for those who are lonely or in mourning, and all who have been touched by tragedy and violence.
We pray for those searching for work, struggling with rising costs, worried deeply about their ability to survive the winter months.
And we pray for those working to bring justice to the discouraged and defeated, and those doing their best to care for the earth You love, despite the challenges.
Use us to bring to joy to others through our friendship, generosity and understanding. Generous God, Send joy to the world again.
We offer our prayers in the name of Your Son, Jesus Christ, our hope, our peace, and our joy…Amen!”
- Closing praise – “Joy to the world” – Here is a You-Tube video with music and words that you can sing along to:
- Benediction – “Sisters and Brothers in Christ, be people of joy. Let joy live in your heart and share the joy of Jesus with all you meet. Share joy by seeing the good in each other. Share joy be remembering good times and hoping for good times to come. Share joy by praying for our world. In this Season of Advent, we need to seek, feel, and share the joy…and the Blessing of God Almighty, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit be with us now and always. Amen.”
- Extinguish the candle
What else is happening at Wilson Memorial this week?
We have created a program of on-line events that you can join in from the comfort of your favourite armchair. Details of these events can be found on our “What’s on – Lockdown special” web page. Go and check it out, NOW!
In addition to video sermons, we also now have podcast sermons available to download and listen to on your mobile device wherever you are. We also have a “dial a sermon” service available, where you can listen to sermons by telephone. To phone a service, simply call us on 0131 297 6174, you will hear an automated greeting, and then after a short pause the latest sermon will play.
Sundays re-started– It’s great being back in Church for weekly services, but unfortunately, we do have to introduce some restrictions in order that we can manage the required social distancing rules, and keep everyone as safe as possible. This means we have had to significantly reduce our seating capacity, and introduce a booking system to ensure we do not exceed the allowed number of worshipers in our church building. To book, please contact our Session Clerk, George Smith, either directly or send a message through our website contacts page (Get in Touch). Social distancing measures and hygiene precautions are in place.
Our Basics Bank, Food Bank, continues to operate as normal every Tuesday providing a critical service to individuals and families suffering hardship in our local community.
Read more about the United Free Church of Scotland
The December 2021/ January 2022 edition of STEDFAST, our denominations magazine, is now available from Wilson Memorial Church.
We have hard copy coffee-table editions and soft copy tablet/PC editions available.