Welcome Back! : In Church. In Person. On Demand. On your phone. On your tablet. On your computer.
This Sunday 14th November 2021, Rev Mike will lead us in our annual remembrance service at 10:30am (doors will be open from 10:15am). We still require you to book in advance for track and trace purposes. To book your place, please email us through our Contacts Page. For everyone’s safety, we are strictly following the Scottish Governments social distancing guidelines, and have hand sanitiser stations for your use.
This week we have featured remembrance art work which is used with the kind permission of the artist, Elaine Roberts. Elaine is the daughter of our late member Olive Thompson.
This weeks order of worship that you can use:
- Light a candle – to remember that Christ is the light of the world, and overcomes every darkness.
- Opening Prayer – “God of justice and peace, we gather at this time of remembrance, mindful of the cost of human history. In the face of hostility between nations and neighbours, You have come to us in Jesus, carrying no weapons, but calling us to serve as peacemakers. In this time of worship, renew in us the hope that You can turn swords into ploughshares, and lead the world You love away from the study of war to the promise of peace and justice for all.God of justice and mercy, forgive us when we have sown seeds of anger, jealousy, and pride. Forgive us when we have insisted on getting our own way at the expense of others. Forgive us when we have nursed long-held grudges, instead of extending the hand of reconciliation. Father, forgive us and lead us in a better way, for we ask it in the name of Jesus, seeking His peace in all things. Amen.”
- Opening praise – For all the \Saints – Here is a You-Tube video with words and music that you can watch or sing along to:
- Read this weeks scripture passage – Deuteronomy 4:5-9, 10:12-13
- Sermon – “Remembering not to forget”
- National act of remembrance
- In Flanders Fields (recital)
- The Last Post (including the national minute of silence)
- Praise – “O day of peace” – Here is a You-Tube video with words and music that you can watch or sing along to:
- Benediction – “Sisters and Brothers in Christ, on this day of remembrance, remember the sacrifices of the past, work for peace in the present, and speak of hope for the future…and the Blessing of God Almighty, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit be with us now and always… Amen”
- Extinguish the candle
What else is happening at Wilson Memorial this week?
We have created a program of on-line events that you can join in from the comfort of your favourite armchair. Details of these events can be found on our “What’s on – Lockdown special” web page. Go and check it out, NOW!
In addition to video sermons, we also now have podcast sermons available to download and listen to on your mobile device wherever you are. We also have a “dial a sermon” service available, where you can listen to sermons by telephone. To phone a service, simply call us on 0131 297 6174, you will hear an automated greeting, and then after a short pause the latest sermon will play.
Sundays re-started– It’s great being back in Church for weekly services, but unfortunately, we do have to introduce some restrictions in order that we can manage the required social distancing rules, and keep everyone as safe as possible. This means we have had to significantly reduce our seating capacity, and introduce a booking system to ensure we do not exceed the allowed number of worshipers in our church building. To book, please contact our Session Clerk, George Smith, either directly or send a message through our website contacts page (Get in Touch). Social distancing measures and hygiene precautions are in place.
Our Basics Bank, Food Bank, continues to operate as normal every Tuesday providing a critical service to individuals and families suffering hardship in our local community.
Read more about the United Free Church of Scotland
The October/November 2021 edition of STEDFAST, our denominations magazine, is now available from Wilson Memorial Church.
We have hard copy coffee-table editions and soft copy tablet/PC editions available.