Welcome Back! : In Church. In Person. On Demand. On your phone. On your tablet. On your computer.
This week Sunday 3rd October 2021, is World Communion Sunday, and we invite you to join us as Rev Mike leads us through this wonderful service and the sacrament of Holy Communion at 10:30am (doors will be open from 10:15am). We still require you to book in advance for track and trace purposes. To book your place, please email us through our Contacts Page. For everyone’s safety, we are strictly following the Scottish Governments social distancing guidelines, and have hand sanitiser stations for your use.
This weeks sermon will be recorded live at Wilson Memorial Church. We don’t want to give everything away beforehand, so if you aren’t able to attend in person or just want to listen again, we will be adding the video sermon to this update after the service has taken place.
This weeks order of worship that you can use:
- Light a candle – to remember that Christ is the light of the world, and overcomes every darkness.
- Opening praise – Read or sing “We come as guests invited” – here is a You-tube video with words and music that you can sing along to:
- Opening prayer – “Holy God, as we come to Your table today, we recognise that here, heaven and earth join hands. Around this table, we join with Your church which stretches around the world, and across the generations. As we remember Jesus today, unite us to those who have served You over the centuries, and to all who serve You in so many different situations today. We praise You for Your amazing love which embraces each of us, here in this place, at home with those who are watching this video, and all who love You around the world. Ever present God, when You invite us to Your table, You ask us to come with clean hands and clean hearts. You ask us to come in peace, seeking reconciliation with You and with each other. We confess that the church has not always sought reconciliation within or beyond its walls. In this silence, we hand over to You the broken relationships, disagreements, and disappointments that keep us from living in Your peace. Set us free the burdens we carry, so that we may be a source of peace in this troubled world, and we ask this in the name of Jesus who is our peace. Amen.”
- Read this weeks scripture passages – Exodus 12:21-38, Matthew 26:17-30
- Praise – Read or sing “Here, O My Lord” – here is a You-tube video with words and music that you can sing along to:
- Sharing the meal –
- Prayer of thanksgiving – “Gracious God, pour out Your Holy Spirit upon us, and upon these gifts of bread and wine, that the bread we share together, and the cup we share together, may retell our shared stories together, and that we might remember that we are one in Jesus: May we become at one with all share this bread and this cup, both here in this place, and across the world, where Your children sit around different tables; May we share the abundance of this cup with all those who thirst for Your justice; May we share the abundance of this bread with all those who hunger for Your righteousness; May we be united in faith, united in hope, united in vision, united in ministry, and united in purpose, in every time and in every place. This we pray in Jesus name, Amen.”
- Closing praise – Read or sing “Forth in the peace of Christ we go” – here is a You-tube video with words and music that you can sing along to:
- Benediction – “Sisters and Brothers in Christ, we were invited to this table. We have been fed at this table. We have been united at this table. Now, we are sent from this table into all the world. Go therefore into the world, with courage. Set a place for all who are hungry. Fill the cup of all who are thirsty. And as you go, may the Spirit of power and love attend you, may the Grace of our Lord Jesus uphold you, and may the great Faithfulness of God sustain you now and forever… Amen.”
- Extinguish the candle
To find out more about Communion, visit our dedicated Communion Information page
What else is happening at Wilson Memorial this week?
We have created a program of on-line events that you can join in from the comfort of your favourite armchair. Details of these events can be found on our “What’s on – Lockdown special” web page. Go and check it out, NOW!
In addition to video sermons, we also now have podcast sermons available to download and listen to on your mobile device wherever you are. We also have a “dial a sermon” service available, where you can listen to sermons by telephone. To phone a service, simply call us on 0131 297 6174, you will hear an automated greeting, and then after a short pause the latest sermon will play.
Sundays re-started– It’s great being back in Church for weekly services, but unfortunately, we do have to introduce some restrictions in order that we can manage the required social distancing rules, and keep everyone as safe as possible. This means we have had to significantly reduce our seating capacity, and introduce a booking system to ensure we do not exceed the allowed number of worshipers in our church building. To book, please contact our Session Clerk, George Smith, either directly or send a message through our website contacts page (Get in Touch). Social distancing measures and hygiene precautions are in place.
Our Basics Bank, Food Bank, continues to operate as normal every Tuesday providing a critical service to individuals and families suffering hardship in our local community.
Read more about the United Free Church of Scotland
The August/September 2021 edition of STEDFAST, our denominations magazine, is now available from Wilson Memorial Church.
We have hard copy coffee-table editions and soft copy tablet/PC editions available.