Welcome Back! : In Church. In Person. On Demand. On your phone. On your tablet. On your computer.
This week, Sunday 12th September 2021, we invite you to join us as Rev Mike leads our our family service at 10:30am (doors will be open from 10:15am). We still require you to book in advance for track and trace purposes. To book your place, please email us through our Contacts Page. For everyone’s safety, we are strictly following the Scottish Governments social distancing guidelines, and have hand sanitiser stations for your use.
This weeks order of worship that you can use:
- Light a candle – to remember that Christ is the light of the world, and overcomes every darkness.
- Opening praise – Read or sing “Meakness and Majesty” – here is a you-tube video with music and words, that you can sing along to.
- Opening prayer -“Almighty God, Creator and Lord of all, we come to You today, to worship, and to seek Your guidance upon our lives. Prepare our hearts to receive Your Word, and lift up our spirits as we spend time together worshiping You, so that when we leave this time together, where here in the Sanctuary or in our own homes, we may feel renewed and refreshed.Forgiving God, You have asked us to bear fruit in our lives and to share our faith with others. Yet so many times we have failed You in doing this. We have let You down and let ourselves down. Our thoughts and words have failed You; we have missed opportunities to speak up for our belief in You, choosing to remain silent instead of witnessing for You. Lord, our discipleship is weak at times, and our faith has been shallow, and we have failed You in so many ways. In Your forgiving mercy and grace, cleanse our hearts and minds that we may better serve You, and feel strengthened to follow You more faithfully each day. These things we pray in Jesus Name.. Amen. “
- Read this weeks scripture passages – Mark 8:27-36
- Sermon – Who are you, and what have yo done with my Messiah? (Recorded live at Wilson Memorial Church on Sunday September 12th, 2021)
- Praise – Read or sing “Jesus, Name above all names” – here is a you-tube video with music and words, that you can sing along to.
- Prayer –“In intercessory prayer we stand side-by-side with others, in the presence of God, and we support each other with our prayers. We are asking God’s help in life’s circumstances and difficulties. There are, of course, many things we can and need to ask for God’s help with, and we cannot name them all just now…but we can make a start. Let’s pray:Gracious God, we pray for those who struggle against You, and for those who knowingly turn away from You. We pray for those who put their trust in the false gods of this world, such as power, pride, greed, violence, money, racism, and inequality. May they, and we, come to realise that all that we need, and all that we are, are found only in You…
We pray for Your world that is broken and in pain. We pray for those who are in sorrow and need: for the hungry, poor, and lonely; for the sick and grieving. Lord, be their rock and constant companion through the difficult and dark days.
Listening God, listen now to the prayers of our individual hearts, as we come to You in the silence of this moment…
…Lord, draw near to all and give them the peace of Your presence, the healing of Your touch, and Your guidance and the assurance of Your love, so that all we have named before You today, may walk in hope and faith. In the strong Name of Jesus we pray…Amen.”
- Closing praise – Read or sing “Will you come and follow me?l” – here is a you-tube video with music and words, that you can sing along to.
- Benediction – “Sisters and Brothers in Christ, the God who called us here today is now sending us out into the world to put the words we have heard into action. As we have worshipped together, now let us leave here renewed and refreshed, to share the Good News with those we meet…and the Blessing of God Almighty, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, be with us now and always. We go in peace to love and serve the Lord. Amen”
- Extinguish the candle
What else is happening at Wilson Memorial this week?
We have created a program of on-line events that you can join in from the comfort of your favourite armchair. Details of these events can be found on our “What’s on – Lockdown special” web page. Go and check it out, NOW!
In addition to video sermons, we also now have podcast sermons available to download and listen to on your mobile device wherever you are. We also have a “dial a sermon” service available, where you can listen to sermons by telephone. To phone a service, simply call us on 0131 297 6174, you will hear an automated greeting, and then after a short pause the latest sermon will play.
Sundays re-started– It’s great being back in Church for weekly services, but unfortunately, we do have to introduce some restrictions in order that we can manage the required social distancing rules, and keep everyone as safe as possible. This means we have had to significantly reduce our seating capacity, and introduce a booking system to ensure we do not exceed the allowed number of worshipers in our church building. To book, please contact our Session Clerk, George Smith, either directly or send a message through our website contacts page (Get in Touch). Social distancing measures and hygiene precautions are in place.
Our Basics Bank, Food Bank, continues to operate as normal every Tuesday providing a critical service to individuals and families suffering hardship in our local community.
Read more about the United Free Church of Scotland
The August/September 2021 edition of STEDFAST, our denominations magazine, is now available from Wilson Memorial Church.
We have hard copy coffee-table editions and soft copy tablet/PC editions available.