Welcome Back! : In Church, In Person. On Demand. On your phone. On your tablet. On your computer.
This Sunday is 25th April 2021 and we’re back in our Church sanctuary again for this weeks services. We have two services, at 10:00am and at 11:00am, as numbers have to be restricted, and it is essential to book in advance. Too book your place, please email us through our Contacts Page. For everyone’s safety, we are strictly following the Scottish Governments social distancing guidelines, and have hand sanitiser stations for your use.
However, we are also presenting this weeks sermon and a home worship order of service, here for you to use if you are not able to make it to Wilson Memorial Church in person, or if you just want to listen to Rev Mike again.
This weeks order of worship that you can use:
- Light a candle – to remember that Christ is the light of the world, and overcomes every darkness.
- Opening praise – Read or sing “The Lord’s mu shepherd/I will trust in you” – here is a you-tube video with music and words, that you can sing along to.
- Opening prayer – “Lord God, our good and loving shepherd, You nourish our lives and lead us into green pastures. You restore our souls with rest and peace. You give us true joy so our cup overflows with goodness. You walk with us through the darkest valleys, offering us courage and compassion. At all times and in all circumstances, You are with us, Creator, Redeemer and Guiding Spirit, so we praise You, Holy One, now and always.
Patient God, Your mercy is abundant and Your love is endless. Trusting in Your mercy, we confess that often we have not shown Your love to others, even though we claim it for ourselves. You have called us to show compassion, but too often we have been quick to judge others. You have called us to follow Jesus, yet we are distracted by our own plans and desires. Forgive us for falling short of Your hopes for us and renew a right spirit within us. In Jesus name we pray. Amen.”
- Read this weeks scripture passage – John 10:11-18
- Video Sermon – God loves the other sheep too!
- Praise – Read or sing “We are one in the spirit” – here is a you-tube video with music and words, that you can sing along to.
- Prayer – “Gracious and loving God, as a shepherd cares for the flock, so You care for each one of us. Move in our hearts and minds, our congregations and communities, and lead us to care for one another for the sake of Jesus, our Good Shepherd.Today we thank You for the gift of rest. We pray for all those who are tired from work or worry, especially in these days of challenge. Give peace to those who are worn out with anxiety or frustration, and rest for all those who are weary from the responsibilities of their work.
God our Guide, we thank You for the gifts of truth and wisdom. We pray for those who cannot discern truth in the midst of conspiracy theories, and for all who suffer under authorities who distort reality for their own ends. Give wisdom and sanctified common sense to all who must make decisions in these confusing days of competing arguments.
God our Strength, we thank You for the ways You refresh our souls. We pray for those whose lives are burdened with poverty or with uncertainty about the future beyond the pandemic. We remember all who face any sort of trial or difficulty, those who are sick, in pain, or facing death, and those who are bereaved by the loss of someone dear. For all of these precious souls, be their source of healing and peace.
God our Shield and Defender, we thank You for staying with us when we face danger or death. We pray for all those who live in fear: prisoners, exiles and refugees, victims of oppression, racism and hatred, those who know the threat of violence day after day. Be for them a steady companion and their source of courage.
God our Provider, we thank You for all the ways You fill our cup to overflowing. Thank You for offering peace and calm in the midst of turmoil, for the return of happiness after times of strife, and for insight emerging after confusion and indecision. Help us recognise You redeeming gifts which guide us and give us hope. Show us how we can be part of Your redeeming work unfolding in the world around us, and bless the ministries undertaken through the Church throughout the world. Bless those who serve in challenging missions at home and around the world. Equip them well to reach out in love and respect, together with local partners, to accomplish Your will in Jesus’ name.
Shepherding God, we pray all these things in Jesus name. Amen.”
- Closing praise – Read or sing “The Lord’s my shepherd” – here is a you-tube video with music and words, that you can sing along to.
- Benediction – “Go now with your trust in the Good Shepherd, and let us love, not just in words, but in truth and action. Believe in the name of Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as He has commanded us. And may God be at your side, even in the darkest valleys. May Christ Jesus be the cornerstone of your life. And may the Holy Spirit abide in you and care for you with love and mercy all your life. We go in peace to love and serve the Lord. Amen.”
- Extinguish the candle
What else is happening at Wilson Memorial this week?
We have created a program of on-line events that you can join in from the comfort of your favourite armchair. Details of these events can be found on our “What’s on – Lockdown special” web page. Go and check it out, NOW!
In addition to video sermons, we also now have podcast sermons available to download and listen to on your mobile device wherever you are. We also have a “dial a sermon” service available, where you can listen to sermons by telephone. To phone a service, simply call us on 0131 297 6174, you will hear an automated greeting, and then after a short pause the latest sermon will play.
Sundays re-started– As permitted by the Scottish Government, we are once again open for Sunday worship services, starting on 4 April. Unfortunately, we do have to introduce some restrictions in order that we can manage the required social distancing rules, and keep everyone as safe as possible. This means we have had to significantly reduce our seating capacity, and introduce a booking system to ensure we do not exceed the allowed number of worshipers in our church building. In order that as many people as possible can join us, we will be holding two Sunday worship services: At 10:00am and 11:00am. To book, please contact our Session Clerk, George Smith, either directly or send a message through our website contacts page (Get in Touch). Social distancing measures and hygiene precautions are in place.
Our Basics Bank, Food Bank, continues to operate as normal every Tuesday providing a critical service to individuals and families suffering hardship in our local community.
Read more about the United Free Church of Scotland
The February/March 2021 edition of STEDFAST, our denominations magazine, is now available from Wilson Memorial Church.
We have hard copy coffee-table editions and soft copy tablet/PC editions available.