We are live: In Church, In Person. On Demand: On your phone, your tablet, and your computer.
This week we have George Smith presenting our weekly worship services, in Church and on-line. We continue to operate in accordance with Scottish Government requirements and guidelines, and in order to accommodate as many members and friends as possible, we are holding two services, at 10:00am and at 11:00am. Attending numbers have to be restricted, and it is essential to book in advance (see our section below titled Sundays re-started).
We are also presenting this weeks sermon and a home worship order of service, here for you to use if you are not able to make it to Wilson Memorial Church in person, or if you just want to listen to George again.
This weeks order of worship that you can use:
- Light a candle – to remember that Christ is the light of the world, and overcomes every darkness.
- Opening prayer – Heavenly Father, we are mindful of all those who are working hard and long hours to keep us all as safe as possible. The medical staff who have to contend with the pandemic on top all their other work. The researchers who are striving diligently to develop treatments and vaccines which will, in time, allow us to live our lives more freely than at present. The policymakers and civil servants who are faced with unenviable tough life and death decisions almost daily. For all their efforts and their dedication we are most truly grateful. We also remember those who are suffering. Patients who have contracted coronavirus or whose health problems cannot be dealt with in a timely fashion because of it. Families who are anxious for those they love or who are grieving their loss without saying goodbye in the manner they would have chosen. Those who feel isolated and bereft of the human contact and reassuring daily routine which structured their lives before this crisis. The employees who face losing their job or uncertainty over whether they will. Employers battling to keep their businesses viable and the families of their workers provided for. Those whose lives were already vulnerable before all this began and see what little support they had vanishing before their eyes. For all their pain we ask for relief and succour. We know that we ourselves will have been affected but find it hard to understand what the full impact on our lives will be. Grant us the courage to face the future and the wisdom to rise to the challenges it presents to us. Give us empathy and kindness towards those struggling for whatever reason. Help us to treat everyone we meet with respect, courtesy and hope. Let our faith in you, bolster and support our faith in humanity. Amen”
- Opening praise – Read or sing “One more step along the world I go” – here is a you-tube video with music, that you can sing along to.
- Video Sermon – Did the Cheers TV show lie to me? – This weeks video sermon was presented live at Wilson Memorial Church on Sunday 18th October 2020.
- Praise – Read or sing “All are welcome” – here is a you-tube video with music, that you can sing along to.
- Benediction – “Lord of welcome, you who knows us and loves us, no matter where we are sitting right now, sit beside us. No matter where we walk in the week ahead, walk with us. No matter what we face as the days roll by, let us face it together. To God the Father, God, the Son, and God the Spirit be honour and glory forever. Amen.”
- Closing praise – Read or sing “Where everybody knows your name” – theme to “Cheers”.
- Extinguish the candle
What else is happening at Wilson Memorial this week?
We have created a program of on-line events that you can join in from the comfort of your favourite armchair. Details of these events can be found on our “What’s on – Lockdown special” web page. Go and check it out, NOW!
In addition to video sermons, we also now have podcast sermons available to download and listen to on your mobile device wherever you are. We also have a “dial a sermon” service available, where you can listen to sermons by telephone. To phone a service, simply call us on 0131 297 6174, you will hear an automated greeting, and then after a short pause the latest sermon will play.
Sundays re-started– As permitted by the Scottish Government, we are now open for Sunday worship services. Unfortunately, we do have to introduce some restrictions in order that we can manage the required social distancing rules, and keep everyone as safe as possible. This means we have had to significantly reduce our seating capacity, and introduce a booking system to ensure we do not exceed the allowed number of worshipers in our church building. In order that as many people as possible can join us, we will be holding two Sunday worship services: At 10:00am and 11:00am. Details of the booking process can be found in the August Issue 5 Newsletter. Social distancing measures and hygiene precautions are in place.
Our Basics Bank, Food Bank, continues to operate as normal every Tuesday providing a critical service to individuals and families suffering hardship in our local community.
Read more about the United Free Church of Scotland
The August/September 2020 edition of STEDFAST, our denominations magazine, is now available from Wilson Memorial Church.
We have hard copy coffee-table editions and soft copy tablet/PC editions available.