We are live: In Church, In Person. On Demand: On your phone, your tablet, and your computer.
Once again we’re back for our “normal” weekly worship services, and it’s great to be welcoming everybody to our Church sanctuary again. We continue to operate in accordance with Scottish Government requirements and guidelines, and in order to accommodate as many members and friends as possible, we are holding two services, at 10:00am and at 11:00am. Attending numbers have to be restricted, and it is essential to book in advance (see our section below titled Sundays re-started).
This week is our Communion Service, and we are presenting a home worship order of service, here for you to use if you are not able to make it to Wilson Memorial Church in person, or if you just want to listen to Rev Mike again.
This weeks order of worship that you can use:
- Light a candle – to remember that Christ is the light of the world, and overcomes every darkness.
- Video service – “Taken, blessed, broken, given.” – This weeks communion video service was presented live at Wilson Memorial Church on Sunday 4th October 2020.
- Opening praise – “Here is love, vast as the ocean” – here is a you-tube video with music, that you can sing along to.
- Opening prayer -“Holy God, Creator, Christ, and Spirit; When we hunger for fulfilment, You meet all our needs. You give us the bread of Life. When we thirst for Your presence, You draw near to us in every place, at any time. You fill our cup to overflowing.
You alone are truth, You alone are love, for You are the One who was, who is, and who is to come. Holy One, You are our hunger filled, and our thirst quenched, You are our deepest desire fulfilled, so to You, Creator, Christ, and Spirit, we give praise to You here and everywhere, now and always. In Jesus name we pray. Amen”
- Scripture focus – Luke 19:v22
- Praise – Read or sing “I’m special because God has loved me” – here is a you-tube video with music, that you can sing along to.
- Praise – Read or sing “Great is thy faithfulness” – here is a you-tube video with music, that you can sing along to.
- Praise – Read or sing “Hungry/falling on my knees” – here is a you-tube video with music, that you can sing along to.
- Prayer – “The hymn writer, Shirley Elena Murray, offers these words, ‘Silence is a friend who claims us, cools the heart and slows the pace. God it is who speaks and names us, knows our being, touches our hearts, makes space in our thinking, raises courage within us when we are sinking, and strengthens our faith in times of challenge’. We are sometimes afraid of silence. So much of our world is filled with noise and clamour. But here, in this place, we are called to let go, to let go of the noise, to let go of the anxiety and worry, to let go of our fears. Silence is truly a friend who claims us. Now, just for a moment, be silent. Let the beating of your heart and the rhythm of your breathing be your focus. Put aside your worries. Focus on God…One minute of silence…
God of our lives, who offers to us peace in the silence, a moment apart from the demands and struggles of life, relax our spirits today. In the silence, we have brought to You the names and situations which have claimed our worries and our attention. We come seeking healing for those who suffer, comfort for those who mourn, direction for the lost, and peace for all people. We have brought our joys and celebrations to You, thanking You for the many ways in which You have touched our lives with Your love and grace. Give us peace and strength for our service to this world. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen.”
- Benediction – “Jesus, thank You for Your body, taken, blessed, broken and given for us. Thank You for taking, blessing, breaking and giving us Your body, for the sake of the world. We go from here in Your power and for Your glory…and now may the blessing of God Almighty, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit remain with us always. Amen.”
- Closing praise – Read or sing “The Lord Bless You” – here is a you-tube video with music and words, that you can sing along to.
- Extinguish the candle
What else is happening at Wilson Memorial this week?
We have created a program of on-line events that you can join in from the comfort of your favourite armchair. Details of these events can be found on our “What’s on – Lockdown special” web page. Go and check it out, NOW!
In addition to video sermons, we also now have podcast sermons available to download and listen to on your mobile device wherever you are. We also have a “dial a sermon” service available, where you can listen to sermons by telephone. To phone a service, simply call us on 0131 297 6174, you will hear an automated greeting, and then after a short pause the latest sermon will play.
Sundays re-started– As permitted by the Scottish Government, we are now open for Sunday worship services. Unfortunately, we do have to introduce some restrictions in order that we can manage the required social distancing rules, and keep everyone as safe as possible. This means we have had to significantly reduce our seating capacity, and introduce a booking system to ensure we do not exceed the allowed number of worshipers in our church building. In order that as many people as possible can join us, we will be holding two Sunday worship services: At 10:00am and 11:00am. Details of the booking process can be found in the August Issue 5 Newsletter. Social distancing measures and hygiene precautions are in place.
Our Basics Bank, Food Bank, continues to operate as normal every Tuesday providing a critical service to individuals and families suffering hardship in our local community.
Read more about the United Free Church of Scotland
The August/September 2020 edition of STEDFAST, our denominations magazine, is now available from Wilson Memorial Church.
Click here to go to our dedicated Stedfast article.
We have hard copy coffee-table editions and soft copy tablet/PC editions available.