Welcome Back! : In Church, In Person. On Demand. On your phone. On your tablet. On your computer.
This Sunday 6th September we return to our Church sanctuary for weekly worship services for the first time since March. We gladly welcome you back, with socially distanced open arms, and hope to see you in person. We have two services, at 10:00am and at 11:00am, as numbers have to be restricted, and it is essential to book in advance.
However, we are also presenting this weeks sermon and a home worship order of service, here for you to use if you are not able to make it to Wilson Memorial Church in person, or if you just want to listen to Rev Mike again.
This weeks order of worship that you can use:
- Light a candle – to remember that Christ is the light of the world, and overcomes every darkness.
- Opening praise – Read or sing “We love the place O God” – here is a you-tube video with music and words, that you can sing along to.
- Opening prayer – “Holy One, God of grace and glory, Your creative power is beyond imagining. Your love is wider than the whole universe; Your mercy, greater than the heights of heaven; Your wisdom, deeper than the sea. Maker of all things, You became one of us in Jesus Christ, entering into our frailty and weakness, and through Your Holy Spirit, You are present with us today, and in every place and every time. We worship You, Creator, Christ, and Spirit, One God, now and always. Amen.”
- Read this weeks scripture passage – Romans 8:18-27
- Video Sermon – Help in our weakness
- Praise – Read or sing “What a friend we have in Jesus” – here is a you-tube video with music and words, that you can sing along to.
- Prayer – “Creator of heaven and earth, lover of each and every soul, we are filled with gratitude for the blessings of this life: for making us in Your image to love and care for one another, we give You thanks; for the gift of Jesus, who redeems and guides us, and who gives us a pattern for everyday living, we praise You.Hear us now as we pray for situations where Your love and grace are desperately needed in the world You love: we pray for the Church in this place and around the world, facing so many new challenges to respond to so many needs; we pray for this beautiful world you have entrusted to us, with all its fragility; we pray for those who lead at home and throughout the world, that they may find the wisdom and courage to do justice in the decisions they make; we pray for those who serve as teachers, healers and caregivers facing new situations, give them strength and renewed hope; we pray for the homeless and the hungry, for the unemployed and the anxious, and for all who have become more vulnerable through this pandemic; we pray for those who mourn and those who are alone or feeling isolated; we pray for the powerless and the oppressed, and those caught up in destructive relationships or unjust political systems; we pray for the concerns and burdens we carry in our hearts today, knowing that when words fail us, that Your Spirit intercedes with sighs too deep for words.Eternal God, we thank You for those who have gone before us and showed us some measure of Your amazing love and grace. Keep us always in communion with You, and with all Your people from every time and place. In Jesus name we pray. Amen.”
- Benediction – “As we leave this place this morning, let us do so knowing that we are loved by God, and by one another. Let us continue to serve one another as brothers and sisters in Christ…and may the blessing of God Almighty, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit be with us now and always. Amen.”
- Closing praise – Read or sing “Brother, Sister, Let me serve you” – here is a you-tube video with music and words, that you can sing along to.
- Extinguish the candle
What else is happening at Wilson Memorial this week?
We have created a program of on-line events that you can join in from the comfort of your favourite armchair. Details of these events can be found on our “What’s on – Lockdown special” web page. Go and check it out, NOW!
In addition to video sermons, we also now have podcast sermons available to download and listen to on your mobile device wherever you are. We also have a “dial a sermon” service available, where you can listen to sermons by telephone. To phone a service, simply call us on 0131 297 6174, you will hear an automated greeting, and then after a short pause the latest sermon will play.
Sundays re-started– As permitted by the Scottish Government, we are now going to be open for Sunday worship services, starting on 6 September. Unfortunately, we do have to introduce some restrictions in order that we can manage the required social distancing rules, and keep everyone as safe as possible. This means we have had to significantly reduce our seating capacity, and introduce a booking system to ensure we do not exceed the allowed number of worshipers in our church building. In order that as many people as possible can join us, we will be holding two Sunday worship services: At 10:00am and 11:00am. Details of the booking process can be found in the August Issue 5 Newsletter. Social distancing measures and hygiene precautions are in place.
Our Basics Bank, Food Bank, continues to operate as normal every Tuesday providing a critical service to individuals and families suffering hardship in our local community.
Read more about the United Free Church of Scotland
The August/September 2020 edition of STEDFAST, our denominations magazine, is now available from Wilson Memorial Church.
We have hard copy coffee-table editions and soft copy tablet/PC editions available.