Wilson Memorial Church : On Demand. On your phone. On your tablet. On your computer.
This Sunday 2nd August is the 20th Sunday since we last held a communal worship service in our Church. We look forward to being able to open our doors on Sunday mornings for worship services again, but in the meantime we have now started providing short worship sessions during our Saturday and Wednesday open hours. But, until we can properly return to “normal”, Wilson Memorial Church invites you to join us online, from the safe comfort of your home, as Rev Mike presents this weeks video sermon.
This weeks order of worship that you can use:
- Light a candle – to remember that Christ is the light of the world, and overcomes every darkness.
- Opening prayer – “Mysterious and merciful God, we praise You for the many ways You come to us and offer us abundant life. For the times You show us the way when we are in need of guidance, we praise You. For the times when You provide healing when we are broken and hurting, we rejoice. Your grace makes the poor rich, the hungry satisfied, and the weak strong; and so we worship You as the source of life and love, comfort and courage.
Gracious and merciful God, as we gather to worship, apart and together, we are aware that we have fallen short of the life You desire for us, and so we confess together: Through Christ You have shown us the way of compassion, generosity and forgiveness, yet we neglect the suffering of others. We blame and pass judgement in the very moments You call us to act with kindness and mercy. We cling to what we own rather than share our blessings with others. Open our hearts so that we may embody the teachings of Your Son, our Saviour, Jesus in whose name we pray. Amen.”
- Read this weeks scripture passage – Matthew 14:13-21
- Video Sermon – Parables in practice
- Praise – Read or sing “Beauty for brokenness” (Number 806 in The Complete Mission Praise). – here is a you-tube video with music and words, that you can sing along to.
- Prayer – “O God, we give you thanks for your goodness in all the times of our lives. Even in the uncertainties of this present moment, we are grateful for the strength and courage we find, knowing you are right beside us. Give us the wisdom and patience we need to face a future filled with many questions and challenges.
Aware of our own needs today, we are reminded by Christ’s compassion that so many others nearby and much further away experience even greater struggles. And so we lift up our prayers for the world, seeking your guidance so that we may do our part to bring comfort, healing and hope.
We pray for all who are sick or in pain, that they may have the medical assistance they need and the gift of healing in body, mind, and spirit.
We pray for those who are grieving, that they may know the comfort of your presence and find hope in your promises. Especially we remember those whose lives have been changed by COVID-19 and ask that you will support their recovery and heal relationships affected by this disease.
We pray for those who are hungry or homeless, and all those experiencing the stress of poverty and economic uncertainty. Give those with more resources the confidence to share generously.
We pray for those who seek to show hospitality to others in their homes, in their workplaces, in the church and the community, that their generosity will inspire others to open their hearts so that your goodness at work in the world will be multiplied.
Lord Jesus Christ, you walk with us through all the days of challenge and celebration. Be our Bread for the journey of life, to sustain us and encourage us, whatever the week ahead holds for us. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen.”
- Benediction – “Today, we have been fed with the Bread of Heaven, and Blessed by the presence and peace of God…now go into the world in the peace of Christ to be bread for the world. Amen”
- Extinguish the candle
What else is happening at Wilson Memorial this week?
We have created a program of on-line events that you can join in from the comfort of your favourite armchair. Details of these events can be found on our “What’s on – Lockdown special” web page. Go and check it out, NOW!
In addition to video sermons, we also now have podcast sermons available to download and listen to on your mobile device wherever you are. We also have a “dial a sermon” service available, where you can listen to sermons by telephone. To phone a service, simply call us on 0131 297 6174, you will hear an automated greeting, and then after a short pause the latest sermon will play.
Opening Up – As permitted by the Scottish Government, we are now open each Saturday and Wednesday for individual prayer, quiet reflection, silent meditation, and a short sermon from Rev Mike, between 10:00am and 11:00am. Social distancing measures and hygiene precautions will be in place.
Our Basics Bank, Food Bank, continues to operate as normal every Tuesday providing a critical service to individuals and families suffering hardship in our local community.
Read more about the United Free Church of Scotland
The June/July 2020 edition of STEDFAST, our denominations magazine, is now available from Wilson Memorial Church.
We have hard copy coffee-table editions and soft copy tablet/PC editions available.
To find out more about this issue, visit our current Stedfast article.